autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating for mobile detailing

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of threads and posts on these forums about ceramic coatings but I guess that is why I am asking on here because there are a lot and not sure where to look. I have a mobile detailing business serving Northern Delaware and Southeast PA. I have been detailing since 1992 but just starting to look into paint coatings. I have had several customers ask me if I do it but mentioned to them I am looking to start it very soon. Can anyone give recommendations of ceramic coating products that can be done outdoors? I am completely mobile and do not have a shop.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating for mobile detailing

If there was a quick apply product able to be used outdoors in the sun, could give the durability of a coating, and had easy application favorable to mobile...

The coatings being used right now wouldn't be quite as prevalent. No such animal exists in my opinion.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile in the sense that you can apply it in their garage, then yes you can use many coatings. But if you're restricted to outside only application, then no.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I am mobile as well and offer coatings. I let the customer know when booking that I need a garage to apply the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a professional detailing for a living but wouldn't adding a coating to your arsenal cut down on your job for that individual? I mean if you have a customer willing to pay for great work and you sell them a coating that will last years not months, isn't that cutting your bottom line?

wouldn't it be more profitable to offer them a high grade sealant and offer them your services to reapply 2-3 times per year?

I'm assuming the average customer would go to you more than 1x per year.

Sorry about the thread jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wn1998 View Post
    I'm not a professional detailing for a living but wouldn't adding a coating to your arsenal cut down on your job for that individual? I mean if you have a customer willing to pay for great work and you sell them a coating that will last years not months, isn't that cutting your bottom line?

wouldn't it be more profitable to offer them a high grade sealant and offer them your services to reapply 2-3 times per year?

I'm assuming the average customer would go to you more than 1x per year.

Sorry about the thread jack.
    Not necessarily. The car still needs to be maintained and washed. Coatings may last 18-24 months, but not without proper care. You are also charging a significant amount more to apply a coating. Not to mention the rest of the car still needs cleaned and dressed regularly.

A coating doesn't mean the car is magically going to stay clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle BL Surface Coating and Duragloss Enviroshield are pretty safe ceramic coatings to be used in the open, as long as the panel is not hot and you level it with a mf some 30 seconds after you coat it. PBL is quite pricey, but you'll coat some 20 cars, and you can also coat windows as well. Duragloss is a nice cost benefit.

I use it when I do mobile detailings, and never had an issue.

Avoid SiO2 based coatings when doing mobile, though, they are trickier and need a covered environment.

All the best

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the responses. Just to clear things up I would say 90% of my clients have garages and I would say someone looking to spend that type of money on a coating would most certainly have a garage. Is it not advisable to do it in the open in a shaded area? I am not looking for something that can be done in the sun as I do not do that now with my other detailing. I would think there is a client base that wants that long term protection other than a sealant or wax. Also is there any videos showing application for a coating?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mobile in south Florida ,the only coating from experience out doors is Blackfire coating there is very little shade to find down here.Tried cq UK outside in the sun and forget it.your climate maybe suitable to more of a option using coatings but in fla with the heat I have limitations as far as coatings .

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered investing in a knockoff EZ-up canopy?
    Francesco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast