autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

reverse osmosis filters?

after looking at the reverse osmosis filters for spot free rinsing I'm interested in building a system for myself to save some $$ for other detailing items. Have you since your reading this built one yourself? Any tips, tricks or places to buy filters from?
    Thanks!
    Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: reverse osmosis filters?

I bought the system from griots like 6 years ago for 149.00 and didn't help,looked into real systems too much money.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked with my father in law who has a system for his reef. He suggested a system from one of the reef suppliers online. It's a water saving system with 2 RO membranes that capable of producing up to 150 gal a day. They also sell individual parts.

I went with the kit and couldn't be happier with it. I made 175 gal for my mobile tank and now make 35 gal+ a day to replace what I use. It's awesome to have clean water and no spots. City water is above 480ppm so water spotting was terrible.

Check out all the reef supply sites and you should be able to find what your looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your running a business and need a huge amount of DI water, I can't see how building a system makes much sense.

A couple people have done it, it seems like they've saved a few bucks. But, for the hassle I'd just get a proven CR Spotless.

Post Thanks / Like

I built a system about a year ago (see link below). I don't use this for a business but rather for personal use on my own vehicles. Works great for me. If you're doing multiple cars/bikes per day this would never work in it's current configuration, although if you added an auxiliary atmospheric storage tank the system will produce about 100 gallons per day.

Here's the link to the thread... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-systems.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I built a system about a year ago (see link below). I don't use this for a business but rather for personal use on my own vehicles. Works great for me. If you're doing multiple cars/bikes per day this would never work in it's current configuration, although if you added an auxiliary atmospheric storage tank the system will produce about 100 gallons per day.

Here's the link to the thread... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-systems.html
    Do you mind sending me a build list?

Love how you set it up BTW!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Unless your running a business and need a huge amount of DI water, I can't see how building a system makes much sense.

A couple people have done it, it seems like they've saved a few bucks. But, for the hassle I'd just get a proven CR Spotless.
    I was running duel 20" DI filters... Just like the big CRspotless but homemade. With my city water I was getting about 200 gallons out of a batch of resin. $80 to replace the resin or .40 a gallon.
    For the money I spent on that system, I could have got the RO/DI system I have now. I went from pushing 480 through the DI to pushing 8 through it. This should mean the resin will last 60 times longer.
    Waste water from the RO is a factor but that water is pumped out to my lawn so I'm not running the sprinklers out there.
    CRspotless is nice and easy but gets expensive quick in areas with high TDS.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

You can almost do as well, with a water softener. On the softener out, I installed a hose bib so now, wash buckets, rinse off are all soft water. I've tested the water before & after the wash, 0 ppm hardness both.

Mostly water spotting is from CA++ & Mg++ (calcium & magnesium) in hard water. Softeners exchange CA & Mg with Na++ sodium, which comes from NaCL salt.

Also if you pre-treat your water going to RO unit etc., you will get more gallons from the resin, before they become exhausted. Pre treat = soft water, which would remove the bulk, of junk so, the RO resins would not have to.

Culligan may swap out used RO bottles for fresh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny9447537 View Post
    Do you mind sending me a build list?

Love how you set it up BTW!
    I don't have a parts list readily available but it's essentially a RO drinking water system with a 50 gallon per day rating, a 20 gallon storage tank, a DI cartridge, and misc. hoses, fittings, gauges, etc. The output is a Harbor Freight 3/8 in retractable hose reel and I modified an old pressure washer gun that I had laying around as a nozzle. The stand is built from 2x4s and plywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I don't have a parts list readily available but it's essentially a RO drinking water system with a 50 gallon per day rating, a 20 gallon storage tank, a DI cartridge, and misc. hoses, fittings, gauges, etc. The output is a Harbor Freight 3/8 in retractable hose reel and I modified an old pressure washer gun that I had laying around as a nozzle. The stand is built from 2x4s and plywood.
    Awesome, thanks for the helpful tips. I've been having issues with hardwater spots from the town I live in and would like a system similar to what you built.

I also live in the same town as MuddyOldGoat and 480 PPM is unacceptable to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast