autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is some coating on my windshield that I cannot get off, Please help

I just bought a nissan leaf with 20000 miles on it and either the dealer or previous owner applied some treatment that is giving me a very hazy, streaky look early in the morning after using wipers on a wet/dew covered windshield. It is vertical lines and it is not as hazy in the area where both wipers hit it so it is wearing off, but in the morning I can barely see through the haze until the defroster heats the windshield up, then it is totally clear. Here is a list of what i have tried.

vinegar
    ethyl alcohol (vodka)
    ammonia glass cleaner
    spray away glass cleaner
    klasse all in one
    acetone
    goof off
    clay bar
    isopropyl alcohol

Here are some pics of how it looks this morning right before the sun starts to glare on it. It does look worst than this when the sun is shining on it. On the external windshield view, you can see it the worst on the right side of the pic.

There is some coating on my windshield that I cannot get off, Please help-inside-view-jpg

There is some coating on my windshield that I cannot get off, Please help-windshiled-exterior-jpg

The only thing I was going to try is glass polish but I really don't want to have to resort to trying that unless it is the only way.

Anyone have any other ideas what this stuff is and how to get it off my windshield?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: There is some coating on my windshield that I cannot get off, Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post
    is giving me a very hazy, streaky look early in the morning after using wipers on a wet/dew covered windshield.
    Have you tried replacing the wipers?
    2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
    2020 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like some leftover sheeting agent (an ingredient in car washes) that dried on the windshield, or possibly some hard water remnants. You could try some clay, but most likely you will need to polish it.

I see you are a new member, do you have any equipment/supplies?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Setec, probably a sheeting agent or hard water marks. I've seen this a lot when I get rental cars.

It looks like you've tried a lot of stuff. Did any show improvement?

I would tape off a 1'x1' (or smaller if working by hand) area and work that with Klasse again to see if there is really no improvement when compared to the area next to it. If not, up it to a mild polish like meguiars M205 or ultimate polish. If that does not work, consider a glass specific polish like Ceriglass (this would require a polisher or effectively cut glass.)

Some people have been known to use 0000 steel wool on glass as well, not my personal recommendation, but you could test a very small area out of the field of view to see it that works without leaving behind it's own scratches, the glass will need a thorough cleaning afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Give Duragloss Nu-Glass #751 a try. It works wonders on water spots. For example, it is the only one step solution that will clean the glass walls in my shower!

Duragloss Nu-Glass (NG) #755, glass polish, water spot remover

If that doesn't work, Ceriglass will. Ceriglass will remove scratches from glass, but takes a tremendous amount of work. Dont even think about using Ceriglass without a DA and a glass (rayon) pad.

CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I see you are a new member, do you have any equipment/supplies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    It looks like you've tried a lot of stuff. Did any show improvement?

I would tape off a 1'x1' (or smaller if working by hand) area and work that with Klasse again to see if there is really no improvement when compared to the area next to it.
    Oh geeze, I guess I read too fast and didn't see the list of products. I agree that KAIO should probably work, you will need a terry applicator and some elbow grease. If that doesn't work, see below (ditto applicator and elbow grease), or if it's not convenient to get that, Meg's Ultimate Compound which can be had locally.

Quote Originally Posted by roguerobot View Post
    Give Duragloss Nu-Glass #751 a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Light polish will work. I see this all the time. It's the only solution I've found.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the quick responses.

I have not tried replacing the wipers, but it does this when i just wash the car and then dry it. Until the windshield is completely dry you can see the vertical streaks. I do not believe it is hard water stains since I think one of the numerous products would take that off, for sure the klasse AIO should. I have tried 9 different products already. I have not tried mineral spirits or turpentine.... yet!

Also, the meguiars M205 or ultimate polish that was suggested Audios S6, is that a stronger polish than what is is Klasse AOI? Which is stronger/better?

I can't believe whatever is on here is this hard to get off from glass.

Swami

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe whatever is on here is this hard to get off from glass.
    Believe it. I had this a few years ago from some shampoo I tried and did that to all my windows, and it was surprisingly hard to get off. It's going to take some elbow grease and an applicator with some bite. KAIO is very mild, since you're working with glass which is a hard substrate you can use a compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, which should cut harder.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the meguiars M205 or ultimate polish that was suggested Audios S6, is that a stronger polish than what is is Klasse AOI? Which is stronger/better?
    KAIO is a chemical based cleaner, it does not have abrasives. M205/UP has abrasives, and will literally scratch it off the glass.

But don't worry, these abrasives won't scratch the glass itself. To abrade the glass, you need Ceriglass (to remove scratches in the glass)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast