autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Forum Ommitance opinions

For a while now I have been reading guys posts. Guys that have been in the industry for very long and not just on this forum but also other forums where detailing is discussed and presented.
    I haven't posted on the forum for a while and for good reason, (to me that is). I have been pondering over a issue that made me wonder, why do guys partake in a forum where a lot of interested people will read your posts and the omit to mention what products they use saying that its a secret or their own special blend or mix that they are not going to share?
    Why partake in a forum if you are not willing to share knowledge with a detailing community?
    Am I making sense? What are your guys thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Forum Ommitance opinions

That may be in part that this forum is not exactly an open forum.
    It is frowned upon to discuss products not sold and suggested by AutoGeek.

This is by far the best auto related forum that I have discovered, and the volume and viewer traffic is quite impressive.
    Forums are also a microcosm of the real world.
    All personality types and socially awkward skills.

You take the good with the bad.
    A lot more good here than bad.
    I really like this forum and think it is a true compliment to the auto world.
    Much to learn here, which is the main reason people patron this place.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the RULES here on AutoGeek but I do feel that people should be able to talk about all waxe`s etc.

There are so many products and discussions on these and AG, Autopia help me make my decision on what I use. AG`s sister site Autopia does have a more relax posts on products.

Again these are just my opinions from a weekend detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

I *think* what the OP is referring to, more than specific discussions around non-AG products, is the fact the in the show n shine section, people will post up their work but not make reference to which products they used.

So for example they will just say.... the car was decontaminated and polished... and not include any detail about which products they used, or what processes they followed....and the OP is saying that information like that can be a valuable learning tool.

Of course I may just be misunderstanding the OP, in which case, just ignore what I said

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I *think* what the OP is referring to, more than specific discussions around non-AG products, is the fact the in the show n shine section, people will post up their work but not make reference to which products they used.

So for example they will just say.... the car was decontaminated and polished... and not include any detail about which products they used, or what processes they followed....and the OP is saying that information like that can be a valuable learning tool.

Of course I may just be misunderstanding the OP, in which case, just ignore what I said
    Defnitely spot on lawrence. Hiding knowledge trying to look better than other with his/her products used

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morne1312 View Post
    Defnitely spot on lawrence. Hiding knowledge trying to look better than other with his/her products used
    Some pros use forum posts as a marketing tool. Some of them feel that by being too specific with the products and methods, they aid their (local) competitors. Others, may be using products they feel will break the rules here, but still want the marketing exposure of a Show n' Shine thread.

Post Thanks / Like

AG does have a somewhat strict policy on discussion of outside products, however, I've never seen an issue when noting the product that was used in a show n shine; that's a bit different than coming in with one beading shot and saying how awesome the wax they use is.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips always...and in totality:
    shares the products, tools, accessories,
    processes/methods, etc., that he uses
    in/for his "Show & Shines" on AGO.

And...IMHO:
    Even if a person decided to not use every
    item that he has presented in his write-ups,
    (by using different tools, products that are
    not even sold at AGO's store)...
    His processes/methods are very hard to discount.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Mike is an expert in his field and as unlimited knowledge on products and process.

I would like to discuss other products and methods because every time I read here I learn more about how to use different products with input from Mike and others here on AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Some pros use forum posts as a marketing tool. Some of them feel that by being too specific with the products and methods, they aid their (local) competitors. Others, may be using products they feel will break the rules here, but still want the marketing exposure of a Show n' Shine thread.
    I'm sorry, but I think that's a load of crap. My customers come to me for my expertise. If you read my S & S posts, you'll see that I disclose what I do and what I use. It pisses me off to see blatant advertisements with no mention of products or equipment. I have called out some guys on it specifically, but they usually don't have the courage to answer. It's a very, very weak argument that someone will "copy" you and take your business away. If that's the case, you're not good enough and need to improve!!! I have gained knowledge and hopefully have passed on some too to this community. That's what forums are for.

As far as AG not carrying a certain product or whatever, I have seen over the years that they have taken on product lines that they didn't previously have that had garnered good feedback from many users. Menzerna is a case in point. When I started on AG, they didn't offer it. I raved about it in my S & S's as did others and eventually they started to carry it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast