autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

i run a small time headlight restoration business on weekends. several weeks ago i buffed the headlights on this lady's car who had an older Mercedes benz. All went well with the headlight restoration, but when i removed the tape, a very small section of the paint around the light peeled off with the 3m automotive tape i was using! i was shocked because ive done over 500 headlight restorations and had never had an issue with tape damaging paint before. I apologized to the customer and was honest and explained i honestly have no idea why this happened and had to accept responsibility then and there. yesterday i am emailed a quote for nearly $1000(with car rental) from a local body shop..

Looking back i may have jumped the gun a little too quickly. Is it possible that they could had there bumper repainted and it wasnt clear coated properly or for whatever reason the paint was weakened/not healthy?

Has anyone had a similar experience with the paint and how should i go about handling this without getting sued? Any advice at all would be tremendously appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Fix it and forget it. The paint not being proper doesnt matter, it didnt peel off on its own. Its a lesson. Im not bashing you or saying you did something wrong Im saying maybe you can learn from it.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Fix it and forget it. The paint not being proper doesnt matter, it didnt peel off on its own. Its a lesson. Im not bashing you or saying you did something wrong Im saying maybe you can learn from it.
    how can i prevent this from happening in the future and do you have any idea of why this may have occurred to begin with? Also do you think its something a mobile paint chip technician could fix? They are assuming my insurence will pay for the damage, which i dont have.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it happened to me with blue painters tape. It was a SSLaquer paintjob from Maaco. The was no primer underneath, just her shiny red previous color. I didnt take any responsibility, but of course apologized and explained thoroughly. She understood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    Yes, it happened to me with blue painters tape. It was a SSLaquer paintjob from Maaco. The was no primer underneath, just her shiny red previous color. I didnt take any responsibility, but of course apologized and explained thoroughly. She understood.
    wow im surprised maaco would do shoddy paint job like that.. Anyhow i got a feeling the lady is going to deny it and say its factory paint. It didnt look like there was primer underneath the paint. it looked like bare metal if i remember correctly. Do you think its possible tape could remove the primer and paint? or is that very unlikely?

Post Thanks / Like

Odds are the front of the car had some previous repair and it was done poorly. I had this happen this spring a car, however it didn't come off from pulling tape. I was starting my wash process and one pass over the front bumper cover on the VW CC i was working and the clear coated started flying off. It certainly puts you in a bad spot, but you need to be prepared and know that things like this might happen and you will need to step up to cover the cost. I was prepared to pay to have the car fixed I was working on, however I got lucky that the previous repair had a lifetime warranty from his insurance company from when it was fixed previously.

Post Thanks / Like

I would call the mobile touch up tech. Also Ask if you could get a quote from your body repair shop. They will easily be able to tell if it was a poor repaint. Do you have a shop you trust?
    Anson Craig the Mobile Detail Expert
    www.mdxdetailing.com
    Like MDX-www.facebook.com/mdxdetail

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way that blue 3M tape pulled off factory paint. Not a chance. That's bad repair and prep work by someone else. Painters Tape is docile unless it has been left on for a LONG time (like months).
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

You did nothing wrong here, but it was still your tape that removed the paint, factory or not. I would try to find a more affordable way to fix it if possible, but you are still responsible.

On a second note, why are you operating a business without insurance? Garage keeper's liability insurance is super cheap. Imagine if this was a more costly repair and you were on the hook for it.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man that's a lot of headlamps to do to recover that.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast