autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for repairing/maintaining worn leather seat bolster?

Recently purchased a leather interior to install in my car, and while overall the front seats are in great shape, the driver-side side bolster has some wear/cracking.

Was wondering what I should do to repair/maintain the area properly so it doesn't get worse, and can it be repaired to look better? Specific suggestions of products/processes/services would be ideal.

While cleaning/conditioning the leather, for instance, I assume I should be more gentle in that area? Plan to use the products/approach here.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for repairing/maintaining worn leather seat bolster?

Hi & welcome to AG!!!!

My fav by a wide margin is: Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products, they sell it here

Results for leathrique - Search

You need: 2:1 rejuvenator to pristine clean

Be sure to see the DIY instruction's at leatherique for rejuvenator

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You have wear in the area due to abrasion where the dye/coating has worn off. Typically, you will see leather repair services where they will strip and redye the leather. The key will be is to match the dye with the existing color that is there. There are people that do this type of repair; however, I don't know of anyone that is in your area.

With that said, you can go to SEM Products (Products | SEM Products) where they have some products that you can look up that are color coded to your interior. Just be aware that you will have to look up the color code for your vehicle. Depending on the make of your car, the codes will either be in the glove box, or the dash.

The other company to look up is Angelus Shoe Products (Angelus Shoe Polish). They make specialized leather dyes and colors that are leather specific that you will not see on auto detailing web sites, such as here.

With regards to your leather care, Leatherique is something to consider. In fact, many high end shoe repair companies use their products for leather.

To see what the leather does, he's something that was well written that is on the site: Leatherique How To Instructions, Leatherique instructions
    Last edited by Gil_; 09-05-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: type error

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricorocks View Post
    Hi & welcome to AG!!!!

My fav by a wide margin is: Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products, they sell it here

Results for leathrique - Search

You need: 2:1 rejuvenator to pristine clean

Be sure to see the DIY instruction's at leatherique for rejuvenator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil_ View Post
    You have wear in the area due to abrasion where the dye/coating has worn off. Typically, you will see leather repair services where they will strip and redye the leather.
    Thanks for the plug for Leatherique. Is this line of products going to help in the area where the dye has worn off, or is something to use more generally? Would you say this is a better group of products than the Pinnacle Black label cleaner/conditioner group for general care?

I'm in the Boston area, for reference, so if there are services someone knows of for doing this redying/color matching I'm all ears.

I couldn't find the color matching code for my car on the site you listed, given the somewhat inconspicuous location I might try taking it to a shoe repair place to see if they have any ideas.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a few things to consider when you're looking at your leather. First, you're trying to restore the condition of the leather to what it was when it was first used from when it was taken from the tannery. Secondly, you're trying to restore the factory finish of the seat.

The Leatherique will accomplish the first step. Using a leather dye/paint will accomplish the second. The thing to consider with the second step is that you don't know if the leather is coated or not. When you do know, you will have a further idea of what direction to go.

Feel free to look thru the SEM website, they do have information to on their website that will help you with what you want to accomplish. This will give you a better idea if you feel comfortable going thru the repairs yourself, or, having someone doing the work for you.

If you can't find what you want there, you can call SEM during the week. They were very helpful when I was looking for an interior color code for matching up some vinyl dye on my truck when I was touching up some areas of plastic trim. They do have color codes for the various trim and interior pieces much like the exterior color codes. You will generally see this information on the driver's side door/pilar area(s), or, the glovebox area depending on the make of the car. If you're not sure, feel free to google the information.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Given your situation I would do the Leatherique, then decide if step 2, is needed or worth the xtra bucks. Leatherique does dye's & don't know the process. But you should (if you decide), contact them

Most leather products, its clean & condition, wipe on, wipe off.

What's interesting about Leatherique, is very liberal Rejuvenator maybe upt 1/4 cup per seat (I could be wrong about the amt. see instructions), then park it in the sun, windows rolled up, all day. This brings the crud to the surface, & quick spritz of Pristiene & wipe. You will be amazed!!!!

Hint! I use a dedicated paint brush for Rejuve, drivers seat last, outdoors. You don't want to sit on it to drive, it outdoors. The heat is important