autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting rid of key scratches

Psycho ex-wife keyed my girlfriends car. A couple are down to primer but many others are not very deep. Any recommendations on a polishes/compounds to work out most of the scratches? I have a Flex 3401 and a wide assortment of LC pads. Some polishes but probably nothing abrasive enough to get the scratches out. Meguiars M205 is the most abrasive. I just don't want to use something too abrasive because it is a black 2008 Honda Accord. Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of key scratches

Sounds like you need to start with wet sanding and work your way up to compounding and polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Short of a re-paint, nothing will ever be perfect looking I think no matter what.

Your plan of first polishing I think will be the first step that will have to be taken. You could try a more aggressive compound first prior to finishing with M205. That might eliminate "some" of the damage.

While this product isn't ideally recommended for such, about the easiest and fastest fix IMO for "hiding" damage that won't come out, I might suggest Dr. Colorchip as one remedy to fill and hide.

The beauty of Dr. C-Chip is that due to how quickly it sets and dries, it has a tendency to stay put on vertical panels such as Doors-Fenders.

That with repeated applications to these scratched areas, this product might be able to fill and protect from the elements such scratches, and be easily smoothed and leveled with the Sealact Solution just mere minutes after application.

That more conventional Dealer and Duplicolor type touch up paints can be very hard to work with, take a long time to set-dry, and have a nasty propensity of sagging-running on such repairs.

I hope these suggestions help you in seeking a relatively inexpensive fix-cure.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an insurance claim to me...
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

5. Likes Hammer77, Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Sounds like an insurance claim to me...
    And a police report...

7. Likes BadgerRivFan, Daven75, VISITOR, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    And a police report...
    I wish I could have her arrested but I never got her recorded on my security cameras. She did it twice in her work parking lot with no cameras and must have followed her the other 2 times. I am just trying to mask the reminder of the pyscho idiot. She has not touched it all winter thank God.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Short of a re-paint, nothing will ever be perfect looking I think no matter what.

Your plan of first polishing I think will be the first step that will have to be taken. You could try a more aggressive compound first prior to finishing with M205. That might eliminate "some" of the damage.

While this product isn't ideally recommended for such, about the easiest and fastest fix IMO for "hiding" damage that won't come out, I might suggest Dr. Colorchip as one remedy to fill and hide.

The beauty of Dr. C-Chip is that due to how quickly it sets and dries, it has a tendency to stay put on vertical panels such as Doors-Fenders.

That with repeated applications to these scratched areas, this product might be able to fill and protect from the elements such scratches, and be easily smoothed and leveled with the Sealact Solution just mere minutes after application.

That more conventional Dealer and Duplicolor type touch up paints can be very hard to work with, take a long time to set-dry, and have a nasty propensity of sagging-running on such repairs.

I hope these suggestions help you in seeking a relatively inexpensive fix-cure.
    I never saw Dr. Colorchip before. That may be a good option. I am going to get rid of what I can then use that on the 1 or 2 deep ones. What do you suggest using prior to the M205? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

you might want to get the Poorboys 'assortment' of their polishes. small bottles but it'll give you a feel for what strength you need and frankly, w/ spot repairs, the small bottle (4oz?) will be enough. I think you're going to want SSR2.5 or 3.

Check this chart
    https://p11.secure.hostingprod.com/@.../wax-chart.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Compound and polish won’t do it.

Damp sanding will improve but not remove the scratches.

The areas down to the primer are a repaint, period.

If you’ve been wanting to experiment with sanding and compounding Now is the time to see what you can do, but not without a body shop appointment on the books.

Without paint measurements I’d get some KXK rid stix and Work from 1500-2000-3000, compound (m100, jescar) and a 3” mf pad, then step up to a med cut (205, menzerna 2500 etc) on a foam but up to a 5.5” pad to ‘blend’, and if needed a third stage with a fine cut.

The impression of the scratch will still be there, but it’ll likely be rounded off or dulled down a bit to where it isn’t quite as ugly except from certain angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

12. Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Compound and polish won’t do it.

Damp sanding will improve but not remove the scratches.

The areas down to the primer are a repaint, period.

If you’ve been wanting to experiment with sanding and compounding Now is the time to see what you can do, but not without a body shop appointment on the books.

Without paint measurements I’d get some KXK rid stix and Work from 1500-2000-3000, compound (m100, jescar) and a 3” mf pad, then step up to a med cut (205, menzerna 2500 etc) on a foam but up to a 5.5” pad to ‘blend’, and if needed a third stage with a fine cut.

The impression of the scratch will still be there, but it’ll likely be rounded off or dulled down a bit to where it isn’t quite as ugly except from certain angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    :agree:, but would add getting some touch up paint. It will look much better than primer.

14. Likes JCDetails liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast