autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Back into detailing w/ coating questions and more!

My wife and I just recently got newer vehicles, a 2010 Audi A6 for me and a 2013 Buick Verano for her, and I figure it's time to get back into taking care of our paint. Ceramic/Quartz coatings that you can DIY are completely new to me although they seem like there pretty easy to work with in all honesty. We live in Denver and our cars are parked on the street 24/7 and we don't have access to a garage, not ideal for detailing. I've waxed and polished with plenty of OTC mothers and meguiars stuff over the years using cheap $20 random orbital polishers but I'm ready to move up in the detailing world if I can so I have a few questions.

Whats the best coating to apply for someone like myself that has to do it outside and has some basic detailing knowledge? I've read a lot of great stuff about Mckee's 37 and I like the idea of the full exterior kit they sell.

Can I go ahead and pitch that Walmart random orbital polisher I've been neurotically holding on to? After reading around here I can't imagine they're worth a damn in today's detailing world.

Both our cars are leather but they're newer leather, 2010 and 2013, would they still be factory coated at this point and not really need intensive products? Both cars leather is in impeccable shape.

I think thats thats all I have but I'm excited to hear from everyone and learn a thing or two!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back into detailing w/ coating questions and more!

I suppose I could link to the kit I was talking about.

McKee's 37 Complete Exterior Coating Kit

Comes with the new headlight coating which I like. I've read the towels you get in the Mckee's are not the best, nor is the applicator. Still the case?

Post Thanks / Like

For ease of use and durability I really like CSL. It can be applied in a large range of temps, it has no wait for it to flash after application, wipes off real easy and is quite slick feeling.
    On my leather I use Geyon leather shield. I have Gtechniq G1 on my glass even tho I don't know how it will preform since I have only been in a drizzle since I installed it. I would probably use a different glass coating since the G1 is a little more difficult to install and without knowing how it performs others are easier. I had polish angle on before and it lasted a good year but I am sure there are plenty that are easier to work with and perform as well or better.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO.

You can't go wrong with the McKee's kit. Comes with everything you need. I personally never used the paint coating but the new version looks like a good coating. One thing about McKee's is that they not only perform well but they also have the ease of use.

You should consider upgrading your polisher to a dual action polisher. The porter cable and griot's garage are two good polishers to look into with pads and a backing plate.

Another option is Gyeon CanCoat. It won't have the long term longevity as some of the multi-year coatings but it's easy to use. One can expect 6-9 months with characteristics of a coating. Pretty versatile and can be used on most surfaces. This is a good entry level coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It was actually the Gyeon CanCoat and Sonax PNS that initially grabbed my attention and got me looking into coatings. I've read about people using things like PNS as a "topping" over a more substantial coating, I'm assuming the McKee's falls into that more substantial catagory. What's the point? Does PNS bead water better or is it just another sacrificial layer?