autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes BigFoot Query

Hi Everyone

Just took delivery of my LHR 15 ES yesterday, thread found here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...es-2015-a.html

and was doing some reading up on the machines and have two questions.

As per Mike Phillip's statement regarding the Kevin Brown washer mod :

"Rupes does not recommend installing the washer between the spindle and the backing plate. This is a tweak of the tool Kevin Brown came up with to take the Rupes engineered design of putting some drag against the backing plate (to provide 50% oscillation and 50% rotation), and remove the drag factor.

By installing the washer you lose the drag and lose oscillation while increasing rotation."

Hence my questions:

1: Based on the above, oscillation refers to orbit yes? If the washer mod increases rotation but loses oscillation/orbit does this mean the BigFoot no longer has 15 or 21mm throw?

2: Since powering my machine I notice sparks can be seen through the air vents, is this sparking normal?

I really hope those in the know can shed some light on both my questions.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes BigFoot Query

Okay, seeing as noone knows I took it upon myself to investigate this and researched tons of sites and reading material.

1:The ASF(Anti Spin Feature) is nothing more than a limitation device as a precaution to over spinning or high rotation which has a possibility to create holograms. It also acts as a safety device in stalling or reducing rotational speed to beginners who donot keep the pad flat on the paint surface thereby potentially scratching the surface. Once again this is all done by slowing excessive backplate rotation by the rubber shroud interacting on it when the machine is under partial or no load. To put it into simple words the reason why the washer mod is done is to eliminate stalling and the reason for stalling is the ASF is over protective against against potential scratching. The machines oscillations/orbits will not be negatively affected by the increase in rotational speeds on the contrary both are more likely to increase which is the reason for the faster correcting those who have done the mod are seeing.

The disadvantages to the washer mod are the very small risk of scratching and possibly slight vibration at higher speeds.
    The advantages of the mod and higher speed is one can get away by using lower machine speed settings to correct thereby using less energy, running cooler and increasing machine life. Ofcourse less potential to stall as well.

2: Sparking is normal for machines operating with brushes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Okay, seeing as noone knows I took it upon myself to investigate this and researched tons of sites and reading material.
    My guess is people knew, but on a US holiday they weren't rushing to answer. Just saying.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    My guess is people knew, but on a US holiday they weren't rushing to answer. Just saying.
    Yeah being on the other side of the planet, also the time difference plays a huge factor.

Post Thanks / Like

So my question is should we do this washer mod???

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    So my question is should we do this washer mod???
    If you happy with the machines performance with the ASF being activated permanently then no, leave the washer out. If you want a shot of Nitrous Oxide to speed up corrections to onpar or surpassing the Flex 3401 and reduce stalling on curves significantly the KB washer mod is the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

If you happy with the machines performance with the ASF being activated permanently then no, leave the washer out. If you want a shot of Nitrous Oxide to speed up corrections to onpar or surpassing the Flex 3401 and reduce stalling on curves significantly the KB washer mod is the answer.
    Roger that, I have done the washer mod. If I need some mustard I'll break out the 3401.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    Roger that, I have done the washer mod. If I need some mustard I'll break out the 3401.
    Something I wrote on another thread:

Direct driven machines such as rotaries and even ones that are hybrids like the Flex 3401-direct driven+orbital still have a chance of burning paint especially edges and will not finish off as well as a free floating machine. Direct drivens cut fast but free floating DA's finish better.

Flex-Cutting,Correcting,Compounding.
    Rupes-Finishing,Jeweling,Polishing.

Choose your poison.

Post Thanks / Like

Direct driven machines such as rotaries and even ones that are hybrids like the Flex 3401-direct driven+orbital still have a chance of burning paint especially edges and will not finish off as well as a free floating machine. Direct drivens cut fast but free floating DA's finish better.

Choose your poison.
    Both very good machines, never an issue with the 3401 but something tells me I will reach for the Rupes 85% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Choose your poison.
    I wasn't able to get the 3401 to finish as well as my Duetto using m205. Menzerna SF4000 was able to though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast