autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

D114 and LSP degradation...

So Bob turned me on to this D114 product. Looks very versatile. I have ONRWW but honestly don't like it much. I use it in my truck as a qd/bird bomb spray when needed. Anyway, from reading online I see it can degrade your LSP. Now I'd assume this is because of its strong cleaning ability. I see it can even strip polishing oils too.

Should I rewax when using D114? I'd like to use D114 in place of a 2 bucket wash here and there, so I'd also be concerned about LSP failure when using D114. I know about D115, but D114 will be used in many other place due to no wax being in it.

I have several spray waxes amongst others too. So I could always just spray it with one after using D114. BTW I have 845 down in two coats on the truck, so hopefully its stout towards the power of D114.

So all in all, id most likely 2 bucket wash, then I'd do a D114 wash, then 2 bucket and so on. I could always make the D114 stronger to strip more LSP off and then I could throw another coat of 845 on...

So how fast does it degrade the LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D114 and LSP degradation...

It should only degrade the LSP as much as any normal wash will(so not much) if you're using it at proper dilutions. People using it as a panel wipe to get rid of polishing oils are using it at concentrated amounts, like 1:15-10. The normal wash dilution is 1:256, 1:128 for very dirty cars.

Post Thanks / Like

In order for D114, @1:128/1:256 dilution ratios, to
    completely degrade an LSP (such as Collinite #845)
    at an accelerated/(fast) rate...would, IMHO:
    Take a most deliberate and inappropriate misuse of the
    RW/WW methods heretofore known to mankind!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Im new to this style of washing ( and honestly new into detailing in general )

How should I go about using D114 to wash a car? Do I have to fill a bucket with water? Pre-Spray panels etc? Im sorry but I am asking for someone to hold my hand on this one lol. Any help Id appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of varying techniques with rinseless washing. For D114, I fill a bucket with 2 gallons of water and 1 oz of D114, which makes it a 1:256 ratio. Then I presoak the panels with wash solution, and proceed to use 8 or so microfibers folded into quarters. It's usually called the Garry Dean Wash Method if you want to look into it further.

Here are some tips from Michael Stoops at Meguiars Online when using D114:

• Do NOT wring the towels out when you take them out of the bucket - keep them dripping wet when working on the paint.
    • Never, EVER return a dirty towel to this bucket - doing so will contaminate the whole set up and compromise your wash process.
    • If you sink 15 towels (or any number of towels for that matter) and find you still have plenty of solution left after you've gone through all the towels, just toss a few more clean towels in and continue on. A couple gallons of water will wash upwards of 8 to 12 cars, depending on how dirty they are.
    • Personally, I like to use just 4 of the 8 sides of a towel folded in quarters. Once I've used it that much there isn't a lot of solution left in the towel and I'm not comfortable using it on the paint any longer. But that doesn't mean they can't be used for something:

• After using 4 sides, toss the towel onto a grit guard that's just sitting on the floor - continue stacking towels like this as you go
      • When finished cleaning the paint, grab one of these "used towels" and wring it out, then expose an unused side and start cleaning the windows
      • Additional "used" towels are great for wheel cleaning when you're done with the paint and glass - wring out a "used" towel, pre treat the wheel by spraying some diluted D114 onto it and "agitate" with the towel.
      • Finally, the clean sides of a "used" towel that has been well wrung out will do an amazing job cleaning the interior. Yes, you read that right - D114 is an amazing interior cleaner! Coupled with a microfiber towel you'll be blown away by the crud it can remove from steering wheels, door panels, seats, etc. It's perfectly safe to use on vinyl and leather, so don't be shy!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own way. I lubricate everything because I want to be safe. I spray down a panel first with the 1oz per gallon dilution then wipe with soaking wet towel in the same dilution sometimes more 114 than suggested. I usually use 3 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use alot of towels. I never put a dirty towel back in the water. Look up the garry dean method

Post Thanks / Like

After rinseless wash the paint, I pour some of the remaining liquid into a smaller bucket with wheel towels before presoak the wheels.
    The rest of the liquid will be transfer to a pump sprayer for next use.
    This method also increase my laundry

Post Thanks / Like

Follow the instructions...and it will NOT degrade the LSP, and furthermore...is perfect for coatings as it leaves nothing to interfere with the coating.

Having said that, it absolutely will degrade the LSP if you use it at very high concentrations 1:15. Yes, it is perfect at high concentrations to replace IPA (lots of lubricity of which IPA has none, and it doesn't evaporate like quickly).

It should be on every shelf.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys appreciate it

Edited: so I should mix up a solution for panel presoak at the normal wash dilution?

What would I use, dilution wise, for say a qd to leave in the car to remove bird bombs etc?

Also has anyone added any AW or something else to add a little wax? I guess you could always just spray a little over top once cleaned and have a bottle of spray wax in the car too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast