autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 and soft paint

For years I've used the first generation PC DA for paint correction on our 2001 black Lexis. Specifically, I've used the 7 inch Meguiar's yellow polishing pad and Mequiar's Ultimate Compound. It's done great but recently I purchased the Flex 3401 and I love how much quicker you can correct the paint. The Lexis is a single stage and fairly soft. So, here's the question, do any of you have experience using the Flex on soft paint and if so can you give me some tips such as machine speed, pressure, etc. Or, am I headed for a micro marring mess and should stay away from the Flex on soft paint? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 and soft paint

What pads and product do you have? White pad and 205/ HD polish work very well on soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Cobra white pads and white 5 inch CCS pad (I also have the 4 inch backing plate). Oh, and yes I have 205. So, your thinking white pad, 205 and maybe start with speed 4?

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do a few test spots using different pressure, speed, and arm speed. I have been using my Flex 3401 for years as my primary correction tool and have corrected some soft finishes with it. Patience and technique will be your friend.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lots2learn View Post
    I have Cobra white pads and white 5 inch CCS pad (I also have the 4 inch backing plate). Oh, and yes I have 205. So, your thinking white pad, 205 and maybe start with speed 4?
    This is a good starting point to determine where you will need to go. With soft paint you will get a good bit of correction ability with this combination.

If need be you can step down to a finer pad with M205 to finish out with.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would update this thread for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation with soft paint. I followed Billy Baldone's advice except that I used Meguiar's yellow 7 inch polishing pad in place of the white pad. This pad seems to work well the Flex. The yellow pad, 205 and Flex worked supremely. Most panels only required three passes, 2 with moderate pressure and one with none. When I ran into stubborn scratches I would switch to another yellow pad and UC then LSP with the 205. The outcome really surprised me.

Well, I hope this update will be beneficial to someone sometime in the future. Thanks for the great advice guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lots2learn View Post
    I thought I would update this thread for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation with soft paint. I followed Billy Baldone's advice except that I used Meguiar's yellow 7 inch polishing pad in place of the white pad. This pad seems to work well the Flex. The yellow pad, 205 and Flex worked supremely. Most panels only required three passes, 2 with moderate pressure and one with none. When I ran into stubborn scratches I would switch to another yellow pad and UC then LSP with the 205. The outcome really surprised me.

Well, I hope this update will be beneficial to someone sometime in the future. Thanks for the great advice guys!

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

What did you mean by "LSP with the 205"?

205 isn't a LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I probably used the wrong acronym. The UC left a slight haze. Not much but just a little. So after using UC I went back over the panel with 205 to get the glossy shine. Thank you.