autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Please! Product Recommendations

Hey everyone. I will be detailing my uncles Hyundai Equus in the next week or two and I really am not sure what combo of product and pad to use.

The car is only 3 years old, very well maintained and only has swirl marks due to improper washing technique. There are no deep scratches on the car. There is slight clear coat failure in the top of the rear bumper where it meets the trunk lid. There is nothing I can do about that and I will avoid that area.

I have a PC7424XP but not sure what to use for product/pad. I have been using the Wolfgang total swirl remover with orange lake country pad and finishing glaze 3.0 with a black finishing pad on my last several details but never was able to fully get rid of all swirls. I was reading other posts and it looks like Menzerna FG400 and FF3000 is a great combo for quickly removing swirls and scratches. What would anyone recommend? Also, what pads would be good to pair with these products? I am also worried about taking off too much during the pre-polish stage.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help! I don't want to ruin this car!

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Please! Product Recommendations

Honestly,
    I'm right there with you wanting things to be perfect, however, the Wolfgang twins should be what you use, IMO. I don't see a need to spend $50 on menzerna polishes that probably would give you similar results.
    Maybe, you could instead concentrate on better cutting pads such as, microfiber, or just buying more pads to ensure you're using enough.
    You are using at least 3-4 pads, for the whole car, that are being cleaned after every panel, right?
    Secondly, that PC you are using, likes to cut when you are running it on speed 6, with at least 15 lbs of pressure.
    Again, think about your pad inventory, and you PC technique.
    Good luck..
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much expdetailing. This helps me a lot.

I am not using multiple new pads to complete a car so I really need to think about stocking more pads. I always run the PC on speed 6 but I think I need more pressure like you said.

I looked up online and it says that Hyundai paint is quite hard. My worry though whenever I detail a car is that I might cut too much and ruin the paint. Do you think that will happen with this car?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding the number of pads you need for each step: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Using enough pads is a road to success!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Goose View Post
    My worry though whenever I detail a car is that I might cut too much and ruin the paint. Do you think that will happen with this car?
    From numbers Ive seen before in the past, and i'm sorry I don't know where to look to provide a link, you can polish a car roughly 65 times before you will polish the clear coat away. Of course, i am saying roughly, however, my point is is that not nearly enough clear coat comes off during compounding and polishing as one might guess.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Honestly,
    I'm right there with you wanting things to be perfect, however, the Wolfgang twins should be what you use, IMO. I don't see a need to spend $50 on menzerna polishes that probably would give you similar results.
    Maybe, you could instead concentrate on better cutting pads such as, microfiber, or just buying more pads to ensure you're using enough.
    You are using at least 3-4 pads, for the whole car, that are being cleaned after every panel, right?
    Secondly, that PC you are using, likes to cut when you are running it on speed 6, with at least 15 lbs of pressure.
    Again, think about your pad inventory, and you PC technique.
    Good luck..
    Those products should do the trick no problem. Focus on the above, it's great advice.

Maybe bump up to a LC Yellow Pad with the WG TS. Menzerna and WG share a lot in common in their formulations.
    When I first got my Genny 3 years ago I achieved these results with that combo with a PC.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

thank you ski2 and custmsprty. such great help. I am so glad to have this forum to ask questions. It really helps. thanks everyone! I will post pics once I do this detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Take your time and focus on perfecting your technique with the PC. It's a great all around tool.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

many who are new to DA polishing tend to move it too quickly and not let the pad and polish/compound do the work.
    here's an example to get you acquainted on just about how fast/slow to move....

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=_llh3z03Liw[/video]
    [ame]youtube.com/watch?v=vgIOe91uYA0[/video]
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I hsed mine for the first time today
    i was a tad slower then vid
    made a tad shinier, but think i needed to apply more pressure as i really didnt apply much...wasnt free handing it but wasnt forcing it downward either
    GG G21 orange yellow then black pad
    Just was testing/messing around...getting a feel for it..