autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401, Hybrid pads and Wolfgang compound, polishes and glazes

I am reading the thread started by Mike "Smack" on using the Flex 3401, hybrid pads and Menzerna products. Specifically, regarding the FG400, he recommends when compounding using the orange pad, to use only speeds 3-4 while when polishing with the SF4000, use speeds 5-6.

Since I am new to all this, I started out with a PC 7424XP and watched the Mike Phillips videos on the AG website where compounding was done at the high speed settings and polishing was done at the lower speeds which is opposite to this technique.

Now that I got my feet wet, I ordered a Flex 3401, 6.5 and 5 inch pads (orange, white and black), 4 inch LC changeable BP, and Grit Guard Universal pad washer special.

I just saw Mike's thread today but (ordered last week) the person at AG recommended Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0, Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze which is what I got.

Regarding how I use the WG products in relation to what Mike wrote on the Flex and Menzerna products I have a few questions.

1. I think the WG Uber Compound is similar to Menz FG400 so I would use the Flex at speeds 3-4, correct? I would use an orange pad.

2. The WG Finishing Glaze would be similar to the Menz SF4000. I would use a white pad and then use the Flex at speeds 5-6, correct?

3. In regards to the WG Total Swirl Remover, it seems it is between the other 2 WG products. What pad color and what speed to run the Flex? The cars in question (my wife's and my sons SUVs have previously been run through machine car washes for the last 5-10 years so have been swirled up quite a bit).

4. I would also prep a new or dry/clean pad by spraying one mist of a pad primer and then add 6-8 pea size drops of product on a 5 inch pad. Would it be reasonable to go 8-10 drops on a 6.5 pad?

5. Knowing the I would only use a pad on a panel or 1/2 panel if working on a roof or hood prior to changing to another pad, on the 2nd application of more product to reload the pad, would I still use 6-8 drops or less as it has already been primed?

Thanks in advance to all of my questions. I realize that I have asked a lot of questions but the devil is in the details and I don't want all of my efforts to be wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401, Hybrid pads and Wolfgang compound, polishes and glazes

1. Yes. Similiar. However on the Label of Über, the recommended speed is to cut at a faster speed setting while FG400 prefers a lower speed.

2. Yes. Similar. On the label of Finishing Glaze it recommends running at speed 3-4.

3. WG TSR is similiar to Menzerna SI1500. You can also equip the machine with an orange pad and run a faster speed just like its Über counterpart. If the vehicle has seen a regular visit to the swirl-o-matic you may need to step up to the Über compound.

4. Yes on mist and prime. You need half of those amounts when priming the respective pads.

5. Less. Every time you need to re apply product to the pad after a section pass, cut down a drop or two of product from the before application.

If you look at the label of FG400, it mentions to run this compound at 900-1200 rpm to cut. I have tested FG400 in the normal way a compound is used (faster speed) and it would return less than stellar results. When I set my PE14 on speed 6, (2100rpm) it dusted up and spit polish like crazy. It was also a lot harder to remove.

On the label of SF4000, it mentions to run it at speeds of 1500-2000 on a rotary. Speed 5 and 6 on the PE14. This is where it like to be run.

In conclusion, Menzerna compounds/polishes are the only products that like to be run backwards from the norm that I know of. While all the others like to be run the normal way including Wolfgang.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401, Hybrid pads and Wolfgang compound, polishes and glazes

Thanks Mike,

I ordered more than a week ago but haven't gotten my shipment as it is all delayed due to the 4 inch LC Changeable back plate being back ordered.