autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Holograms on fresh paint

So I just got the side of my car painted along with the hood, rear bumper and front bumper. The body work came out really well, but after the shop buffed it I noticed in the sun I see some holograms. I took it back to the shop for them to fix it and while they did get a lot of the marks out its not 100% and I think I want to do it myself. Since 3/4 of my paint is fresh I know I have to be careful of what products I can use and I definitely cant use a sealant right now. I am going for the menzerna line of products as they all seem to be highly regarded.

Since a lot of my paint is fresh I dont think Ill need much abrasives to get rid of the holograms.

My plan is this kit Menzerna Intro Kit, Menzerna polishes, Menzerna Final Polish, Intensive polish along with orange, white and grey pads.

Step 1: wash the car
    Step 2: clay the body panels that have not been painted
    Step 3: Use the first stage polish with a white pad and see if that removes the marks and if so take the second stage with the grey and be done.
    or
    Step 3: If it doesn't work out like this then I will do the first stage with the orange and then the second stage with white or grey, not too sure about this yet.

I have never done this before, but I have researching lots of things over the past two weeks and I hope I finally finalized a decision. If there is something else or a different method I should choose I am all ears!

Picture attached; paint is audi black
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holograms on fresh paint-unnamed-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holograms on fresh paint

Sounds about right to me. What machine do you have?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Hi welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Menzerna is top notch in my book and I prefer them. Especially on German paint.

Being that you have a lot of fresh paint to work with and usually is generally a bit softer than OEM paint, I would surely grab SF4000 over FF3000 as 4000 will cut a bit less and finish better. This will be noticeable on soft jet black paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Sounds about right to me. What machine do you have?
    Haven't gotten one yet, thinking I'll just go with the porter cable and 5.5 pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Being that you have a lot of fresh paint to work with and usually is generally a bit softer than OEM paint, I would surely grab SF4000 over FF3000 as 4000 will cut a bit less and finish better. This will be noticeable on soft jet black paint.
    Thanks, I'll have a look into it! Would I go the SF4000 and that's it or would I still need a prior step? According to the chart of Menzerna products online it seems the SF4000 is a finishing polish, so I'm slightly confused on how I would use it.

Would I use it with the Orange pad and then use it with a white pad? Or do I do I need another product before/after as far as a different compound or polish? Or are you saying to use that after I use the super intensive po83 ?

This is the chart that I have been using for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is our definite go to guy concerning Menzerna and a lot of things as far as that goes. Menzerna rocks! Just listen to Mike and you will soon be on the finished end looking back at how easy and fun it was. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

Use SF4000 in place of FF3000. SF4000 will be your finishing polish.

You may only need SF4000 on a white pad to fix the swirls in the repaint. If you need more you can use IP2000 or PF2500 to remove the defects either on the white or Orange. Your test spot will determine this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Souldetailer View Post
    Mike is our definite go to guy concerning Menzerna and a lot of things as far as that goes. Menzerna rocks! Just listen to Mike and you will soon be on the finished end looking back at how easy and fun it was. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin
    Thanks Darrin.

I try to help out as much as I can. I may know a thing or two about Menznera...
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...h-academy.html

Post Thanks / Like

I may know a thing or two about Flex as well.
    Smack tours Flex-tools GmbH Germany!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Use SF4000 in place of FF3000. SF4000 will be your finishing polish.

You may only need SF4000 on a white pad to fix the swirls in the repaint. If you need more you can use IP2000 or PF2500 to remove the defects either on the white or Orange. Your test spot will determine this.

So maybe I will pick up the SF4000 and a white pad and see if that does the trick, if not Ill grab the PF2500 with an orange. Its safe to say I wont need any grey pads correct? Ill be good with just orange white, since I wont be applying any sealants at this time just a silicon free wax until I wait the appropriate time for the paint to cure.

Thanks for the help!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to the menzerna headquarters must have been awesome! Seems like all their products get awesome feedback which is what lead me to choosing that brand of products on my conquest for a mirror finish black car!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast