autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rough Paint

Quote Originally Posted by CavScout10 View Post
    It's a Dodge Ram 2500. I have no heavy compounds. PC 7424XP with LC Yellow Orange Green pads. 3D speed. Pinnacle advance swirl remover. Carpro fixer and carpro polish
    IMO the PC7424 XP you will be working for a long time!! I have one and the PC (IMO) for that job will kill you!!! IMO you should have a more powerful DA for that. At the minimum the GG6".

I have a Flex 3401 and that is my workhorse DA. The PC is now delegated for minor correcting and sealant/wax application.

The Dodge Ram 2500 is too big for the PC...again, my opinion and I hope I have not sounded arrogant. I have had some very long correcting times with the PC and the Flex changed all that. The Rupes or the new Boss would be another great alternative.

But do get some compound like FG400

Either way whether you do this or not let us know.

CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I'll let you know what I pick up and try it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO the PC7424 XP you will be working for a long time!! I have one and the PC (IMO) for that job will kill you!!! IMO you should have a more powerful DA for that. At the minimum the GG6".

I have a Flex 3401 and that is my workhorse DA. The PC is now delegated for minor correcting and sealant/wax application.

The Dodge Ram 2500 is too big for the PC...again, my opinion and I hope I have not sounded arrogant. I have had some very long correcting times with the PC and the Flex changed all that. The Rupes or the new Boss would be another great alternative.

But do get some compound like FG400

Either way whether you do this or not let us know.

I agree about trying this with a PC. You will wear yourself out on such a big truck. Is this a job for a client or a friend? Considering the condition now, what are the owner's intentions as to routine care after you do the work, if you decide to do the work? If he/she plans to continue taking it through the Swirl-O-Matic big brush car washes, I would walk away. If you decide to do this job, I hope you have a LOT of pads. With compounds and heavy duty polish, be careful, especially when using yellow pads.

Post Thanks / Like

As some have recommended megs 105 and i don't disagree with them as far as being a good compound but you said you never used a compound before as it is hard to use for a beginner. It dries up fast and hard to get off it you dont spray with water. In my opinion to do a truck like this with that compound would drive you nuts. Thats why i recommended fg400.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Try fixer with yellow pad to see if that will do anything. If not, and you want to get something local. I'd suggest getting some M105 to use with the yellow pad. If you want to order, I'd recommend some Megs MF discs and some M100 or M101 to cut wih. HD speed would most likely be enough to polish out after compounding. Only way to find out is to give it shot. Just remember to have that PC cranked up and slooow arm movement. Good luck
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

many have had great results with megs mf pads and hd cut...
    [ame]youtube.com/watch?v=3W8ujyCPT0g[/video]

also, if you are sorta new to machine polishing, move the polisher slow with overlapping passes (too many move it too fast at first resulting in subpar results). here's an example...
    [ame]youtube.com/watch?v=_llh3z03Liw[/video][ame]youtube.com/watch?v=vgIOe91uYA0[/video]
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=3W8ujyCPT0g
    +1 Very good cut, and super good working time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=3W8ujyCPT0g
    +1 Very good cut, and super good working time.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend mf cutting pads and a compound like M101 or FG400. But, since you don't have any of that on hand I would go with you your densest, heaviest cutting pad, with Fixer and or advanced swirl remover. And possibly go buy some Meg's ultimate compound and or M105. Speed 5-6, firm downward pressure that keeps the rotations down to 1-3 per second, and slow arm speed moving the pad only 1-2 inches per second across the section. You should be able to get decent correction with proper technique; enough to save the client a paint job at least.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing a big truck like that (suburban), that's about as jacked up as the one in your pics. The PC is doing an excellent job.

I started with FG400 on a Lake Country Cyan pad. It was good, but the pad was loading up really quickly. Tried my old stand by Meguiar's Ultimate Compound + Green Hex Logic, and things got much better.

I ended up using FG400 on a green Hex Logic pad, and it was absolutely fantastic.

Now, on my Dad's car the FG400 + LC Cyan was the winning combination. It all depends..

I see pics like yours and start drooling. I love fixing stuff like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12