autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car washes keep leaving some type of residue?

Car in question: 2014 Subaru WRX STi

So, I've been trying to figure out what a particular residue is left on my paint after washing my car. After washing, in daylight, the car looks fantastic. I've had some possible "industrial fallout/superficial brake rust?" that I've been trying to solve on my front doors right behind the wheel wells.

I usually presoak with Bilt Hamber autofoam, then follow with CarPro Reset (2 bucket method).

Yesterday, I decided to skip the presoak to see if that was leaving any sort of film, which I highly doubted it did. However, I proceeded with a rinse and 2 bucket wash with the CarPro Reset. After rinsing a section I also sprayed it down with Iron-X then gently spread it around after 3-5 min, and then rinsed again. I added the Iron-X to see if I could clean up some of the little rust specks, which it seemed to do a decent job removing for the most part.

Again, car looked great clean and in regular light. But later in my garage that night when I shine a Brinkmann light on the door it basically looks like this:

The smudges to the right are from me trying to swipe my finger through it and see what the consistency of the film was. I use an Aussie Merino Wool Wash Mitt, which is very delicate. I don't know if I'm washing too softly (doubt it, I still have swirls), but this is starting to really annoy me. Is this something I would need a claybar for? I have a speedy prep towel, but would rather not use that as it typically leave a good amount of marring. Other than claying, I can't think of anything that would fix this, save polishing the paint again (which I plan later this summer). The CarPro Reset has no fillers or crap to leave anything extra on top of the paint. I'm stumped .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car washes keep leaving some type of residue?

I would bust out the light, mix up a small bucket of wash solution and try a small spot within the residue. Try some different soap and see if you can wash and dry it away. That doesnt look like anything you should need a clay bar for from here. Try pushing a little harder on your "test spot"
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

So this happens after every wash?

If it does:

1. Are you following the recommended dilutions of the shampoos?
    2. Are you using a spray wax/detail spray to dry?

Also, are you saying it's tough to get rid of? (With the mention of using clay)

Post Thanks / Like

What dilution of a Reset are you using? Is your car coated?

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a similar problem that I call ghosting. I've cut my waterless wash solution (Ultima) by a third more and cut my drying aid by 50% (Slick Mist). It seems that the polymers/wax does not blend well with my lsp.
    When I had a coating (OCP) anything with a wax would ghost my finish. I don't think this will happen with lighter color paint. It probably does, but you won't be able to see it.

Try washing with Reset and a few drops of APC ( Power Clean).

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of possibly using too much Reset, I'll definitely have to try using a little less next time. Car was coated with PBL diamond paint coating. However, I've got a strange feeling that it has all but worn off as I don't really notice much if any beading nowadays, even after using Reset.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had this issue.

I've never used Reset.

Coincidence?

Maybe...

Either that or there is *something* in your water causing it.

I doubt it's due to your worn coating or adding APC to the mix will fix it.

I can recommend I lot of great shampoos that aren't flavor of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I've never had this issue.

I've never used Reset.

Coincidence?

Maybe...

Either that or there is *something* in your water causing it.

I doubt it's due to your worn coating or adding APC to the mix will fix it.

I can recommend I lot of great shampoos that aren't flavor of the month.

The main reason I got the reset, was because I applied a coating, and figured it was a good way to renew it during washes. I guess it turns out there might be more finesse to it, if the soap dilution is in fact the issue here.

I'm more than open to soap suggestions as I likely won't be purchasing more of the Reset unless I can get it to work for me. Also, I'd preferably look for something without "fillers" or soaps that leave any type of residue, be it wax or anything else meant ti increase "shine."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    The main reason I got the reset, was because I applied a coating, and figured it was a good way to renew it during washes. I guess it turns out there might be more finesse to it, if the soap dilution is in fact the issue here.

I'm more than open to soap suggestions as I likely won't be purchasing more of the Reset unless I can get it to work for me. Also, I'd preferably look for something without "fillers" or soaps that leave any type of residue, be it wax or anything else meant ti increase "shine."
    Are you following Reset directions? If you are, it should not be the problem. Reset is a pure cleaner and leaves no polymers or waxes behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post

Ok, first off, soaps don't have "fillers". There are no soaps that will fill or mask defects. There are soaps that leave some polymers behind. People on AGO always seem to hate these soaps, simply because they leave something behind.

I never got it. Some of the best soaps may leave "something" behind. I'm not sure why so many people are against "something"... If someone can tell me what is the exact reason for this I'm all ears...

Anyway, some good soaps are:

Optimum

Duragloss

P21S

PoorBoys

Sonax

Victoria's Super Soap

1Z Glos

CGs Citrus Red

Dodos B2B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast