autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What can be done about this (if anything)...need feedback quickly!

Hey guys, I'm going to make this as short and to the point as I can. A returning customer asked me if I could do some "paint chip touchups". I told her I could and she dropped her car off with me this afternoon while I was at my day job. I gave her an estimated price range to fix the chips (I figured there would be at least 10 or so to address) and thoroughly clean the interior of her 2007 Mercedes CLK.

Looked it over after I washed it and I'm not sure what to do. The bottom of the front bumper has a TON of tiny paint chips and then 2 huge spots. I can't possibly dab paint into all these tiny chips. This is probably a job more suitable for a respray or at least with an airbrush. Neither of which I am comfortable with doing. I was planning on using base coat automotive paint to fill the chips, but would Dr. Color Chip possibly work in this case? I know you "smear" it on over the chip so could I just smear it over multiple tiny chips to cover them?? What would you guys do??

There are quite a few small chips on the hood and a few more on the door and trunk. Most of these I feel comfortable addressing, but at this point I think my $100-$180 quote was a little low. Just hard for me to do estimates in person even though I know I should and try my hardest to do. Anyway, I just want to know what you guys would do about the bottom of the front bumper. If Dr, Color Chip is an option I need to order it TONIGHT because she needs the car back by Sunday afternoon!

I realize that this looks like paint splatter, but I can assure you it isn't. Goes across the whole bottom lip of the front bumper.

Close up of the tiny chips and some damage/large chip

2 more LARGE chips.

Close up of the large chips from the previous picture

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can be done about this (if anything)...need feedback quickly!

Looks like that's been run into it's fair share of parking curbs. That's a job for a body/paint shop.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Looks like that's been run into it's fair share of parking curbs. That's a job for a body/paint shop.

That's what I was afraid of. Just watched a video on Dr. ColorChip from the Autogeek store and it got me thinking that I could at least help some of the tiny chips no?? The owner is super nice and told me "whatever I could do would help". So she isn't expecting perfection which is nice for a change. At the same time I would like to do as much as I can for her.

I just realized that Dr. ColorChip orders can not ship express. So no way I will be able to get it on time. I would still like to know if you guys think it would be a good option though because I was going to get her car again in about a month to wax it. I could just do the interior and wax it this weekend and next month fix the chips when I have the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

That is not a Dr ColorChip touch-up job....its a respray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I agree. You just need to be honest with the client and explain that the damage is far worse than you imagined and are just not comfortable trying to repair that extensive damage. Other factors to keep in mind. While she seems "super nice" that can change in a heartbeat and result in damage to your reputation. You quoted $100 - $180 for this job. If you use Dr ColorChip, you will probably need two kits. At $59.00 each, you are really cutting into your profit margin. Finally, this is obviously her DD. After you "spruce it up" for her, will she change her habits relating to the car? Mike Philips stated in one of his postings that if it is obvious to him the car's owner will not change their daily habits of caring for the car, he politely refuses to do the job. You should consider this advice.

Post Thanks / Like

That is most definitely not a touch-up job. It's not even an easy repaint... There's a lot of prep work involved there.

The best thing you could do for your customer, and yourself, is to call and tell them that you were overly optimistic, trying to be helpful, and made a mistake when you originally said that you could do the touch-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    I agree. You just need to be honest with the client and explain that the damage is far worse than you imagined and are just not comfortable trying to repair that extensive damage. Other factors to keep in mind. While she seems "super nice" that can change in a heartbeat and result in damage to your reputation. You quoted $100 - $180 for this job. If you use Dr ColorChip, you will probably need two kits. At $59.00 each, you are really cutting into your profit margin. Finally, this is obviously her DD. After you "spruce it up" for her, will she change her habits relating to the car? Mike Philips stated in one of his postings that if it is obvious to him the car's owner will not change their daily habits of caring for the car, he politely refuses to do the job. You should consider this advice.

I agree with everything your saying and you make some great points.

So Dr. ColorChip could possibly help cover the tiny chips? Yes, I have still not given up hope on this job. I realize I may have to increase my quote and I'm not too sure what I can do about the LARGE spots, but she isn't looking for perfection.

So if this was your customer what would you guys do? Explain to her that the bottom of the front bumper needs to be repainted and there is nothing you can do and then just address the more isolated chips on the rest of the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
    ... So if this was your customer what would you guys do? Explain to her that the bottom of the front bumper needs to be repainted and there is nothing you can do and then just address the more isolated chips on the rest of the car?
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sadly that one is out of the realm of touchup paint
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

You could order a spray can of paint from paint scratch.com and attempt to use that on the larger spots and get the DR colorchip Kit for the little ones. Its not going to be easy, but best option I can come up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast