autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bird crap on my brand new paint

So I just bought a brand new VW GLI in Tornado Red on Thursday. Friday was my first day at work with it and wouldn't you know I walk out to a huge pile of bird crap on on the roof. Luckily, this was right in the middle of my sun roof so it was easily removed with some glass cleaner when I got home.

Today I come out of my office to find another wild ostrich has left his mark right in the middle of my trunk lid. About the only funny part about it is the fact that my parking lot is completely open. I'm parked on the very end and the closest tree, power line, or light pole is 40 yards away. I never ended up with crap on my Jeep when I parked in the same spot for over 3 years, and now two days in a row it's been crapped on.

The problem is that my Wolfgang order is still shipping. My car has a noticeable layer of dust and pollen on it from it being dry and windy here in Oklahoma. Is there a good way to clean this off without giving my car a full bath, but without agitating the dust and pollen and causing scratches? Or am I pretty much left with giving it a full bath with my inferior products?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bird crap on my brand new paint

If you feel your products are inferior, at the very least hose or power wash the bird bomb off sooner than later. The longer it sits, the worse it will etch your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlssCubsFan View Post
    So I just bought a brand new VW GLI in Tornado Red on Thursday. Friday was my first day at work with it and wouldn't you know I walk out to a huge pile of bird crap on on the roof. Luckily, this was right in the middle of my sun roof so it was easily removed with some glass cleaner when I got home.

Today I come out of my office to find another wild ostrich has left his mark right in the middle of my trunk lid. About the only funny part about it is the fact that my parking lot is completely open. I'm parked on the very end and the closest tree, power line, or light pole is 40 yards away. I never ended up with crap on my Jeep when I parked in the same spot for over 3 years, and now two days in a row it's been crapped on.

The problem is that my Wolfgang order is still shipping. My car has a noticeable layer of dust and pollen on it from it being dry and windy here in Oklahoma. Is there a good way to clean this off without giving my car a full bath, but without agitating the dust and pollen and causing scratches? Or am I pretty much left with giving it a full bath with my inferior products?

If you put a wet towel on it and let it dwell for a little while it will loosen the ostrich bomb. lol

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you able to Amazon prime some waterless car wash to have it in 2 days. Could always use the pressure washer at a self wash car wash, it will at least knock some the stuff and you will be able to use spot free rinse

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I would try to put together an emergency bird bomb kit.... maybe a couple of MF towels, some nitrile gloves (you don't want to be touching bird droppings) and a spray bottle with something like some ONR (there may be better products for this purpose, others could chime in) in it - keep it in a ziplock bag in the trunk.

Then, as soon as you notice the bird bomb, use a MF towel to create a little dam around the bird bomb, then spray a generous amount of your ONR (or similar) onto the bird bomb. Let it sit a while, and then use the MF towel to try and pick the bird bomb up off the paint by wiping from the outside toward the bird bonb, as opposed to wiping it across the paint. This will limit the affected area by not spreading the mess around.

In my opinion, I would rather risk the scratches that may come from removing the bird dropping off dirty paint, than leave it there to etch into the paint.

Invariably, the etching will be deeper than the scratches.... so chose to accept the lesser of 2 evils.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's bad enough then wet sanding would be a simple solution. My wife's Cadillac had that happen and I had to resort to wet sanding the spot.
    No problem and very simple if you haven't done it before. Might take a little courage the first time!
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep a bag with a small bottle of QD and about 5 MF towels in trunk of each car for such emergencies. Each member of the family has been trained how to respond to "bird bombs"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pford13 View Post
    I keep a bag with a small bottle of QD and about 5 MF towels in trunk of each car for such emergencies. Each member of the family has been trained how to respond to "bird bombs"

Same here.
    Maybe I should keep a DA and some compound in the trunk too. Nah, I probably wouldn't have an electrical outlet to plug into in a parking lot. I already get the "rolling of the eyes" when I feel the need to wipe the vehicles down. LOL
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like

If you care about your vehicle. You will have an emergency kit available.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

i keep a custom 4 oz spray bottle of opti-clean on hand. you can use it on glass, paint, trim and interior hard stuff.

nothing better for a quick detail emergency than a true waterless wash imo.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast