autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Shelf life of coatings

I have a few coatings that are mostly used, and I want to get everyone's opinion on whether they are still good. All were kept in a dark cabinet during the summer/fall and indoors during the winter.

GTechniq C1: about 9 months old, about 10 mL

22PLE: 10 mL, about 9 months old

PBL dpc: half a bottle, about 16 months old

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shelf life of coatings

I'd like to know about this as well. Anyone have feedback on their experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

General response I have received from many manufacturers is "up to 1 year" after opening.

I am sure some may be good for longer than that, but I am not sure how you could tell. If it is for a customer vehicle, I wouldn't risk it... just buy a new bottle.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a syringe of the first release version of Optimum's Opti-Guard on my shelf in the shop that sat through the heat of summer and the freezing conditions of winter here in PA. I'd guess it was going on 3 years old or so. It was still liquid, and after doing the whole "try to offer a coating in an average market" thing, I had stopped offering coatings a long time ago.

Just a few weeks ago I decided to polish up the failing and fractured paint on the old Buick and try applying this old stock Opti-Guard to it.

One thing I noticed was that it seems some of the solvents may have evaporated through or leached into the plastic of the syringe. I say this 1. because there was a small air bubble in the product that wasn't there at the time I stored it, and 2. because I noticed there was an unusual amount of "grabbiness" when applying the product. Nothing I couldn't handle but just a bit more resistance between the applicator and the paint than what I remember. I always work very methodically using memory more so than vision when applying a coating so application went seamless. I just assumed I had a little less time to apply the product and go back over it to knock down any high spots than normal.

So far, everything seems OK with the product performance and application, glossy as all Hell and super easy to wash. It's nice to see the old neglected Buick glimmering and beading off water again.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you posting Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bottle of cq UK that was already expired, used it on a car, no problems, lost it for about a year, then applied it to the own car, still good! A syringe ha a very long story life. But even coatings in bottles can be stored open for more than than year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    Good to see you posting Dave
    Thanks Bud... It has certainly been a very long absence for me.

Been enjoying the the other work that the handicap accessible van world brings, utilizing my simpler detailing skills turning around rental handicap accessible vans and doing lots of mechanical work and bus recon work as well as lots of wheelchair lift repair for the nursing and rehabilitation industry. Nice to come back here and poke around / contribute a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...great to see you posting again, Dave.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I believe "shelf-life" can be subjective.

Companies that manufacture these products generally want to (and need to) provide a shelf-life statement. Basic risk management will indicate a corporation will provide a shelf-life statement towards the lower-end of the range that their R&D team establishes.

This doesn't diminish the weight of their message, but everyone knows some products will last longer on the shelf and will almost always take the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Personally I believe "shelf-life" can be subjective.

Companies that manufacture these products generally want to (and need to) provide a shelf-life statement. Basic risk management will indicate a corporation will provide a shelf-life statement towards the lower-end of the range that their R&D team establishes.

This doesn't diminish the weight of their message, but everyone knows some products will last longer on the shelf and will almost always take the risk.

In my past experience with Optimum products in general (coatings and cleaners excluded) i've seen a very short shelf life.
    I really like the polish and compounds offered by Optimum but have had too many of them go bad on the shelf in less than a year. I've had a few bottles of their polishes and compounds both, come from Autogeek having already gone bad on the shelf before the sale. I've strayed away from the line because of this, but I have 100% confidence in any of their sealants and coatings from what I've used. I would hope that the quality hasn't dropped off since I stopped buying coatings to offer clients of mine.

If I buy their polishes I buy them in 8 ounce bottles only to prevent loss from the short shelf life. Perhaps the short shelf life of Optimum compounds and polishes is a thing of the past. All I know is that I am reluctant to purchase any because of past experience.