autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to pull the trigger on my first DA

Hello all,

after months of reading and watching I am going to dive into the DA world only as hobbyist. I was leaning toward the PC but I'm intrigued by the reviews on the new McGuire MT300 so I think I may start with it.

Most of the posts I read beginners are instructed to start out with a 5" backing plate and a 5.5 or 6 inch pad so I believe I will start there as well using a lake country brand. Which of the lake country line up god knows as there is sooo many.

Where I am still stumped even after reading the aggressive charts is which color pad for what. My first use is going to be in applying a fine finishing polish of some sort to prep my one month old gunmetal maxima for applying a coat of either ckquartz, opti, or pinnacle. Jury is still out on which. I see there are polishing pads and ffinishing pads and colors in each category but god love me I can't pin point what's what.

So. For a fine finishing polish what color pad is recommended?

Thanks all

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to pull the trigger on my first DA

Here I am again. Get the Rupes 21. The difference in correction ability is so big, you don't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    Hello all,

after months of reading and watching I am going to dive into the DA world only as hobbyist. I was leaning toward the PC but I'm intrigued by the reviews on the new McGuire MT300 so I think I may start with it.

Most of the posts I read beginners are instructed to start out with a 5" backing plate and a 5.5 or 6 inch pad so I believe I will start there as well using a lake country brand. Which of the lake country line up god knows as there is sooo many.

Where I am still stumped even after reading the aggressive charts is which color pad for what. My first use is going to be in applying a fine finishing polish of some sort to prep my one month old gunmetal maxima for applying a coat of either ckquartz, opti, or pinnacle. Jury is still out on which. I see there are polishing pads and ffinishing pads and colors in each category but god love me I can't pin point what's what.

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Meguiars MT300 and I used it along with XMT 360 on wife`s CTS I had a Griots and this machine is lighter and a little more power. I had to get used to the trigger but I fiquired it out and went to town on car. I used MF pads from buff and shine.

As I say in my posts I am a novice and for it works great for me.

The Griots is a good machine but I decieded to go with Meguiars MT300 this time..

Post Thanks / Like

IMO You have made a great choice. If you are just a hobbyist then you should be fine. I have the PC7424XP and the Flex 3401. The Flex and Rupes are the best DA's out there, however, they are expensive.

Based on what you are doing you should just stick with what you are getting.

As for product...Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 are an excellent combo. The Wolfgang products too.

Or the Standar Megs 105/205 is great too

As for Pads if you go the Megs route are

Lake Country Orange pads for correcting
    White for polishing and
    Red pr black for LSP

I do not know the color pads for Megs or Rupes to give a comment on that. Stick with the 5" and 5.5" Pads for more control and finesses.

6" might be too big. As for the final coating or sealant/wax is up to you. Sealant and wax is less complicated and I prefer that. As for a coatig...I can't say as I see no reason to switch to a coating...IMO too many variables that can negatively affect the finish with a coating. Just read all the posts about them....

All this is my opinion
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

if money is an issue and you don't plan on using the DA too often, then get the GG6. it has a lifetime warranty and with the assortment of different backing plates, pads, and polishes/compounds out these days, there's pretty much nothing it can handle though it may take a little longer compared to the other more expensive DA's...

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to tools I don't typically skimp if there is a serious difference in feel and quality. I also don't want to out tool my skill set. I figure as I get better I will use this tool more and more on our three vehicles. Heck maybe even the kubota if I'm bored one day ha.

I'm really going for ease of use for a beginner and simple. I liked the PC cause Mike Philips has tons of very specific info on using that DA. That said meguires came out with the new MT series and the way it's being described is as a nice in between for the PC, Griots and the Flex,Rupes.

The other thing drawing me into megs is their simple lineup but I dont want to lose Capability with simplicity. I was leaning towards lakes on pads but now I see megs also has a new backing plate and foam discs that are getting good reviews and I love the simplicity of three pads. Cut, polish, finish.

That said if there is something better I will pay for the best as long as I'm not out tooling my ability. ...hoping that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Where I am still stumped even after reading the aggressive charts is which color pad for what. My first use is going to be in applying a fine finishing polish of some sort to prep my one month old gunmetal maxima for applying a coat of either ckquartz, opti, or pinnacle. Jury is still out on which. I see there are polishing pads and finishing pads and colors in each category but god love me I can't pin point what's what.

Thanks all
    Hello,

This might help you understand pads and their intended use.

In general, polishing pads have a cut to them and they're meant for use with polishes such as Meguiars M205 or Menzerna SF4000. There's also no hard fast rule and experimenting gains you knowledge and understanding...

Post Thanks / Like

For the application you're seeking, the Blue Lake Country CCS is great. Love it on the Porter Cable 7424xp, with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that chart is a good indicator of my Confusion. If I am going to use a non abrasive fine finishing polish do you use the white polish pad, the polish finish pad, or the finish pad. Hahaha I'm sorry if I'm an idiot here.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that chart is a good indicator of my Confusion. If I am going to use a non abrasive fine finishing polish do you use the white polish pad, the polish finish pad, or the finish pad. Hahaha I'm sorry if I'm an idiot here.
    You're not an idiot at all. At first, choosing the right pad and polish combination can be overwhelming but do not panic!

Polish

All polishes contain abrasives and believe it or not can be used with both a polishing pad and a finishing pad. A polishing pad and polish will be slightly more aggressive than a finishing pad using the same product.

Also, don't confuse a chemical cleaner with a true polish. Both of the polishes I mentioned above contain fine abrasives. Chemical cleaners such as Klasse AIO contain no abrasives. Klasse AIO is a truly great product but does not remove finish defects..

Once you get some trigger time under your belt you'll see how easy it is to dramatically improve the finish on your car or truck....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast