autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob with some noob questions!

I got some new products this year, and in preparation for my big spring detail, I have some questions. Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Optimum gloss coat:
    1. My summer wheels are off the car right now and I'd love to get them coated first, but it may be a week or more before I do the rest of my car. Then I saw the "destroy after single use" label on the OGC syringe when I got it. Is there a reliable way to store leftover OGC for a couple weeks? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and do my wheels the same day I do my car?

2. I'd also like to coat my brake calipers. I would wash with APC, then Tar X, Iron X, possibly try to get my new Nanoskin handy towel in there a little, IPA wipedown before OGC. Is there anything in the process that could be harmful to the calipers or all the brake components in that area?

3. Are Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 105 and 205 suitable polishes to use as prep for OGC? I browsed through a thread where someone had some issues and narrowed it down to the polish he used containing oils that interacted with OGC, despite his IPA wipedown.

4. Is OGC good for headlights and taillights? How about black textured plastic trim (like the kind surrounding many side mirrors, rear valances, etc.)? If so, what would you recommend for prep on those areas? Trim restorer, like Back To Black, before or after OGC or not at all?

I think that's it for now. Thanks again ahead of time for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob with some noob questions!

Quote Originally Posted by spagett View Post
    I got some new products this year, and in preparation for my big spring detail, I have some questions. Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Optimum gloss coat:
    1. My summer wheels are off the car right now and I'd love to get them coated first, but it may be a week or more before I do the rest of my car. Then I saw the "destroy after single use" label on the OGC syringe when I got it. Is there a reliable way to store leftover OGC for a couple weeks? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and do my wheels the same day I do my car?

2. I'd also like to coat my brake calipers. I would wash with APC, then Tar X, Iron X, possibly try to get my new Nanoskin handy towel in there a little, IPA wipedown before OGC. Is there anything in the process that could be harmful to the calipers or all the brake components in that area?

3. Are Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 105 and 205 suitable polishes to use as prep for OGC? I browsed through a thread where someone had some issues and narrowed it down to the polish he used containing oils that interacted with OGC, despite his IPA wipedown.

4. Is OGC good for headlights and taillights? How about black textured plastic trim (like the kind surrounding many side mirrors, rear valances, etc.)? If so, what would you recommend for prep on those areas? Trim restorer, like Back To Black, before or after OGC or not at all?

I think that's it for now. Thanks again ahead of time for any help!

1. Honestly I would say that if you can get that syringe capped tight and most of the air out of it after use, you should get 30 days before tossing it. Make sure you have everything lined up and ready to go when you get ready to open the syringe to coat.

2. No

3. Yes. Make sure you have the surface as clear as possible before your IPA wipe. If you want to eliminate any possibilities of issues of bonding, cloudiness and such, perform a second thorough wipe.

4. No problems on clear plastic. For the textured black plastic Dlux would be the choice. A good cleaning with an APC should suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Thanks again Mike you're my new best friend here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spagett View Post
    ^ Thanks again Mike you're my new best friend here
    Dont hesitate to ask questions in your quest to perfecting that new GTI.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum!

is you remove the air from the syringue, it will last a long long time, the single use thing, is just so you don't reuse the syringue for some other product later

if you want to be safe with your pre OGC polishing you should use an optimum polish or finish polish, or use a pre coating cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    welcome to the forum!

is you remove the air from the syringue, it will last a long long time, the single use thing, is just so you don't reuse the syringue for some other product later

if you want to be safe with your pre OGC polishing you should use an optimum polish or finish polish, or use a pre coating cleaner
    Thanks octane. I wonder if anyone else has had any experience with reusing the syringe and how long in between uses (weeks, months?) they were able to successfully do so.