autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL Coating Questions

I'm interested in purchasing the PBL Diamond Glass and Wheel Combo. I understand prep is key when it comes to coatings, but is it absolutely necessary to purchase the Surface Cleansing Polish or would wiping the surface down with an IPA solution achieve the same results? For the glass, I already have ceriglass and rayon pads and was planning on using that after claying, followed by an IPA wipe down, and then applying the coating. As for the chrome wheels, I plan to clay them, then use Optimum Metal Polish, IPA wipe down, and finally applying the coating. I also have Menzerna SF-4000, but I'm not sure if that would make any difference on the rims. Would these prep steps work? I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL Coating Questions

An IPA wipe down will be fine. I will say that using the polish makes ensuring the surface is clean very easy. The polishing just needs to be applied over the surface and doesn't need to be worked in like you would if you are removing defects.

Either way will be fine.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

IPA would be fine...The polish is very easy to use. I just did two passes with DA on each panel and wiped off.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing the PBL Diamond Glass and Wheel Combo. I understand prep is key when it comes to coatings, but is it absolutely necessary to purchase the Surface Cleansing Polish or would wiping the surface down with an IPA solution achieve the same results? For the glass, I already have ceriglass and rayon pads and was planning on using that after claying, followed by an IPA wipe down, and then applying the coating. As for the chrome wheels, I plan to clay them, then use Optimum Metal Polish, IPA wipe down, and finally applying the coating. I also have Menzerna SF-4000, but I'm not sure if that would make any difference on the rims. Would these prep steps work? I appreciate any help. Thank you!
    If you're already going to be polishing the paint then yes, IPA is technically *OKAY* to use. If you're not polishing the paint with an abrasive or chemical polish, then you will definitely want to use the Surface Cleansing Polish prior to applying the coating.

Keep in mind that IPA is extremely grabby, so if you're working on a darker colored vehicle, you're at risk of scratching or marring the paint by wiping it down with a chemical that has absolutely no lubricity whatsoever. If the car is white, then it's not as much of a concern because any marring will be difficult to see (unless you have the eyes of an Auto Geek )

I know you said wheels and glass in your post, but the above question will surely come up in this thread so I'm answering it ahead of time. The same rules apply to glass and wheels, however you don't have to worry about marring glass with IPA.

Be sure to post photos!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses! I will not be using the coating on the paint as I prefer using a sealant and wax. I think I'll opt to use wipe down with IPA instead of spending more money on another product when I already have an IPA solution.