autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash, detailing, and winterizing help for brand new vehicle.

Hi guys,
    I am looking for some help with my new car. I just got it a few days ago. It is a 2015 Jeep Compass Lattitude with chrome package and leather interior. I am looking for some products to help keep it looking as new as possible. I live in Pennsylvania about an hour north of Pittsburgh. I have been washing and waxing my cars for a long time. I like to keep them looking new. My biggest problem is the winter. The only access I have to washing my car is to take it and spray it off at the car wash. However, by the time I get home the car is dirty again due to winter conditions. Also, I have to deal with the car freezing up while spraying off dirt and grime.

After watching some detailing vidoes I see there are waterless washes out there. I have a heated garage so this would be a nice winter option if I can find a product that wont damage the paint. I have access to buckets of water but unfortunatley no hose due to the pipe bursting this winter. In the summer time I will take the vehicle to a place like bubble bear and spray the car off, dry, and wax like I normally do.

I am trying to build a car wash kit that will provide good protection during the winter months that will help protect from road debris etc. I would like to try some claying as I am sure the paint has contamination from salt, grime, and the new brake pads are probably causing contsminants. Is there any sealants or hard waxes that will help with small paint chips? I realize they arent going to give serious pretection so I am thinking about having a clear bra professionally installed for $675. Windshield chips was also a problem with my previous car. I heard applying a sealant to the windshield can help. Anyways, what do you guys recommend? I want to get some buckets, grit inserts, clay kit, wash kit, etc. Also, what if you guys could recommend some microfiber towels for use with the waterless wash I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash, detailing, and winterizing help for brand new vehicle.

I guess the best way to go about this would be for me to spray off the road grime and grit from winter driving at Bubble Bear. Then drive it home park the car in my hested garage to thaw out. Then, use a rinseless wash to remove the dirt from water spots and the light dirt from driving home. What is a really good rinseless wash I can use to get the car really clean before claying, sealing, waxing, etc? This week the temp is suppose to go up into the 40s possibly even the 50s so I want to get some good layers of protection on this new vehicle before it gets destroyed from these harsh pa winters.

I just got done reading a post here about marring using clay. I know there is going to be contamination on the paint expecially from the new brake pads breaking in. Can you guys recommend a very mild clay that will prevent this? What about one of those nanoskin clay mits? Will that be safer or is there a safer way to remove contamination? What steps and products do you guys recommend to protect and keep this car looking good through thr remainder of the winter and that will help protect from the sandy gravels that are all over the roads in the winter? I want to get this stuff ordered so it can be applied this week. I am starting from scratch so if you guys could give me a list of products as a stsrting point that would be great. For example buckets, grit guards, towels, clays, sealants, towels, etc.

Thanks again,
    Rocky

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay I have done some research anx i am hoping now it will be easier to get a response from someone about their opinion on my process or if there is anything i can do better. I just bought a brand new jeep compass and i want to protect it from harsh pittsburgh weather. Here are steps and products i am thinking of going with.

1. Spray the vehicle at a coin sprayer to remove most of the heavy debris.

2. Take it home into the heated garage and wash with 2 bucket system and optimum rinseless wash. Then dry the vehicle throughly. From what I have read it sounds like the rinsless wash works good with microfiber towels which do you guys recommend?

3. Clay the vehicle using a very mild clay with lube to remove contamintion. What product do you guys recommend for this step?

4. I have a cheap turtle wax buffer. After claying they say polishing is a good idea. What product do you guys recommend for the polishing process?

5. I want to apply klasse im a few light coats to provide protection and seal the vehicle.

6. Wax the vehicle. What is a good wax for on top of klasse?

Could you guys recommend some nice mf towels I can purchase to use on my vehicle? I just want to make sure i have the right stuff for the job.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Post Thanks / Like

See below in red:

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper1014 View Post

1. Spray the vehicle at a coin sprayer to remove most of the heavy debris. Good.

2. Take it home into the heated garage and wash with 2 bucket system and optimum rinseless wash. Then dry the vehicle throughly. From what I have read it sounds like the rinsless wash works good with microfiber towels which do you guys recommend?
    I prefer a wash pad like this The Bone is a soft, plush car wash sponge wrapped in microfiber for unbeatable softness. Use your favorite car shampoo with the bone microfiber wash or maybe something like this Supreme Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt, microfiber wash mitt, washing mitt if you really want to use a towel maybe something like this Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel , a lot of people like these too: Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt . I like to put a little ONR in the rinse bucket, too.

3. Clay the vehicle using a very mild clay with lube to remove contamintion. What product do you guys recommend for this step? Any mild clay is fine, you can use your ONR at a higher concentration as a clay lube (I think it's 2oz/gal)

4. I have a cheap turtle wax buffer. After claying they say polishing is a good idea. What product do you guys recommend for the polishing process? I don't recommend polishing with that tool.

5. I want to apply klasse im a few light coats to provide protection and seal the vehicle. You'll want to use the Klasse AIO (that will prep the surface like you wanted to do above), then ideally top it with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze.

6. Wax the vehicle. What is a good wax for on top of klasse? There are tons of good waxes, it depends what you want. An easy one that's inexpensive is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, just make sure you put it on thin (and that goes double for the Klasse products).

Could you guys recommend some nice mf towels I can purchase to use on my vehicle? I just want to make sure i have the right stuff for the job. Too bad nothing's on sale right now, but you can't go wrong with these: Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 6 Pack

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks i greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond. I grabbed a clay bar and lubr kit at autozone today because i noticed that the paint on the sides of the car where still dirty after washing at the coin op. Its the meguires kit. I think thats the name. I like their stuff. I also bought some turtle wax ice sealant for temporary use to use with turtle wax ice wax till i get some goodies ordered. Its suppose to be 40 to 50 again tomorrow. I am gonna go to the coin op again and hit it with the pressure washer then the no touch. I am going to clay it and apply sealant and wax there. Like i said by the time i get home its dirty again so i cant apply the products safely. Hopefully the optimum rinselss with work good for this reason when i get it. They just built a harbor freight where i live. Im gonna check there for the machine everyone has been talking about for 30$ so i can add some buffing and polishing.