autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinion on clay bars, clay lube, wax, tire?

I am looking for a good clay bar, lube. I am going to try the wolfgang polishin pal clay kit. I see so many was curious whats the best to use. My car is an 08 C Class in great condition but never clayed it before. I use collinite wax 915 and am impressed along with Klasse but I always like to try new waxes if they are better. Meguiars paint protect looks interesting as an in between instead of applying a wax so often. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel, Sonax wheel rim brush appear good tire products. I am looking for a shiny tire gel without slinging off as well as a good matte finish tire product. Hopefully one that doesn't attract dust lol.Any thoughts? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion on clay bars, clay lube, wax, tire?

I have been so impressed with the nanoskin mitt i don't use conventional clays too much any more. I use my wash soap as lube for the nanoskin mitt and effectively "wash" the car a second time with the nanoskin mitt. Just my experience anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Both Mothers and Meguiars make good Clay Bars, and Kits. The larger Mother's Kit comes with two bars I believe, and a bottle of Lubricant.

If one needs more lube to have on hand, the cheapo Meguiars Detail Spray works just fine as such.

Not sure where you're located, but these products I mention are commonly easily gotten from any big auto parts stores, and even Walmart.

A good technique that virtually all here use to aid the use of either a clay bar, or the newfangled clay sponges-towels-mitts is the thin plastic sandwich baggie to aid you to "feel" the condition of the paint as you go.

Eye, or the bare hand are far from being as good a guide when claying.

As you go, and clay a panel, then check and feel the paint with your hand inside the baggie. Any spots missed and still feeling rough, simply repeat the claying process in those areas, and then move on.

If you like cheap, easy, and long lasting for a tire product that looks great, dries to the touch, doesn't sling, and doesn't wash off, try the new Turtle Wax Endura Tire Coating Kit.

Will last much longer than any tire dressing made. Again, same places I mention above carry it. The coating comes in a bottle, you apply with a sponge with gloves on as it has a black dye in it.

Post Thanks / Like

To add to the great info MarkD started…
    I just purchased a mother Claying set from Amazon for $15, best price by FAR free shipping because I am a prime member.
    Besides that, I almost ONLY use the Nanoskin system these days, I purchased the clay bar because it can get to places the nano skin can't.
    I mentioned this on the forum before, I think clay lube is just pure marketing and something to waste money on. I have clay lube (came with purchase) soon as I'm done with it i'm putting another product in that bottle.
    I have a pressurized pump bottle from Lowes that I fill with water and a quality car wash soap and use that and I NEVER had a problem. IMO if your told anything else you are just being sold a product that will be 99% water anyway.
    But as Clay bars goes, I think only Clay Magic makes clay bars and they just slap other company names on it. I don't know if the patient is up yet.So either buy from the source or search the WWW.

Have a nice day!

P.S. Mark I leave the sandwich bags for my food :P

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Pinnacle tire gel.

As far as clay, just go with a mild clay. Any quick detailer or dedicated clay lube works, just do not use water.

I would pass on Megs Paint Protect. Try CarPro Hyrdro2 if you want something easier, or for a longer lasting wax with a great shine, try Collinite 845.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Griot's Garage clay and Optimum No Rinse as clay lube.

If you're impressed with Collonite but would like a longer time between application you might try Collonite 845.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a kit from Meguiar's and it worked great. It came with a bottle of QD as lube.

Recently, I picked up some yellow Riccardo to try out and a bottle of ONR to use as lube.

I'll report back in the spring when I can actually see what color my car is. We have not has a day above freezing the entire month of February.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay bar - Meguiar's
    Clay bar lube - Dodo juice
    Wax - Menzerna Color Lock
    Tire dressing - Poorboy's World Bold n Brite
    It's more than a car...Keep it clean