autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To Steam or To Extract??? Which First?

Hello AG'ers. Quick question. If you had to make a purchase and it was down to a heavy duty dry vapor steamer or a high quality hot water extractor. Which would you buy first to expand your business? I understand the need for both pieces and how critical it is to have both in my arsenal! But if you had enough money to buy one or the other right now and the second peice later. Which would you buy first?

Thanks for any and all insight!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To Steam or To Extract??? Which First?

I would consider...steamer can clean carpet as well as all parts of an interior, seats, console ,etc...as well as helping with exterior crevice wax removal, wheel cleaning, engine cleaning, glass crevice etc....carpet extractor cleans carpet and cloth upholstery REALLY good.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good points..

Post Thanks / Like

I own the VX-5000 steamer sold by steam cleaners direct. I spent a solid two weeks researching steam cleaners, pressures, etc. For interior and even exterior use on wheels, etc it has plenty of power.

I was in the same boat. The steamer really is an overall more useful tool. You can really clean out crevices, seats, dashes, leather, etc very effective in removing spot stains.

I would go with the steamer all day long. When the time comes get the extractor if the business warrants it!
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down steamer. Since I bought my vx5000 I very rarely break out my HP 60. The steamer is much more versatile, I use it for nearly all surfaces. The extractor still has its place but only for really trashed vehicles, or particularly nasty stains.

www.JaxDetails.com
    www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I was leaning the steamer way... It is confirmed now!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a steamer and I used it on every job when I first started. However, in December I bought a Tornador. I also purchased a $50 ShopVac. The Tornado is a GREAT machine. I now have a large air compressor to drive the Tornador. With the air compressor, comes so many new options. I can now blow out interiors with an air squirter, which is cool. I also have a pneumatic polisher and d/a to do headlight restorations.

I thought I needed an extractor, however, I found that with a ShopVac that that was not necessary. The key to getting the most out of the Tornador is to get a large enough air compressor (minimum 5.7cfm @90psi). I highly recommend DeWalt.

I have not used my steamer in two months. I still take it, just in case.

I know this was not what you asked, but I hope it helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    I have a steamer and I used it on every job when I first started. However, in December I bought a Tornador. I also purchased a $50 ShopVac. The Tornado is a GREAT machine. I now have a large air compressor to drive the Tornador. With the air compressor, comes so many new options. I can now blow out interiors with an air squirter, which is cool. I also have a pneumatic polisher and d/a to do headlight restorations.

I thought I needed an extractor, however, I found that with a ShopVac that that was not necessary. The key to getting the most out of the Tornador is to get a large enough air compressor (minimum 5.7cfm @90psi). I highly recommend DeWalt.

For mobile use, it seems to me that a VX 5000 is more portable than the Tornador since it requires a sizable compressor, like a 30 gallon, 6 scfm unit. The only portable compressor that is small enough for mobile use and have enough oomph to operate a Tornador may be this DeWalt unit. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

California Air Tools - The Largest Manufacture of Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free & Lightweight Air Compressors - CAT-10020

This is the one I want... Should be sufficient for a tornador and mobile use

$400 @ home depot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post

I guess it depends on preference. I have experience using the Tornador when I did mobile detailing in Tallahassee. The shape of the machine is awkward in tight quarters. I find I liked its capability but in a lot of sports cars / exotics I couldn't maneuver it to my liking. With a bit of ingenuity, I can really get the steamer ANYWHERE in the interior which is important to me.

Another factor for me was that we had to lug around a compressor just to run it. Not an issue if you have a big van or truck but with the steamer, I can just use the portable generator and am good to go.

Since the tornador is basically a weighted swirly straw, I wish they would make a "snake" type attachment.

Both are great!
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast