autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of Marring/Micro Marring?

Hey guys was cleaning up my girlfriends black 2003 ranger pickup and lets just say this thing was rough and of course with my new hydrotech cyan pads and 5" backing plate I decided to hit a spot on her truck just to see what it would do.. Holy crap! did it do everything I expected and wayy more! but I think I may have left some Micro marring since I didn't polish up or anything after.. any of you guys have any links or photos of what micro marring looks like? also, what causes it.. the product or pad? or combo of both?
    "You think its expensive hiring a professional, wait till you hire an amateur"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures of Marring/Micro Marring?

Once you finish compound you should follow up with a polish to get ride of the marring/micro-marring the compounding causes.

This IMO is a MUST.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

How about you post pictures of what you are seeing instead? Typically a combo of both product and pad. Some compounds finish out better than others. Utimate Compound and FG400 come to mind. What product did you use with the Cyan pad?
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

You can check out Mike Phillip's forum post (linked below) for examples of various types of scratches - including micro marring.

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls, Micro-Marring, DA Haze & Tick Marks

Post Thanks / Like

IMO you are missing the 2nd step. I could care less what product you are using for compounding. You will have micro marring left behind the compound polish.

You should finish with a polish to take care of any micro marring issues. Doing only 1 part and not the 2nd is something I would not do. Based on what you are saying no need to show photos finish with a polish especially if the color of your ride is black as you state.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, it is possible to cut with some compounds on harder clear coats and not leave micro marring. Fords are pretty hard so this is very possible.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know I'm supposed to polish after but just didn't; just because it's baes truck and she was just glad to have it cleaned. I used some stuff in a yellow bottle called scratch and swirl remover you can get at oreilys for like $4 lol! I bought it a long time ago and just wanted to use it up really but man was I impressed with the results! I'm definitely gonna borrow her truck again to be my perfect specimen for compound/pad combo tests.. Idk if that cyan pad cuts that good or what but wow I was impressed and very little time and effort as well.
    "You think its expensive hiring a professional, wait till you hire an amateur"

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Meguiars Ultimate Compound with Lake Country flat orange and white pads and left no marring of any kind. It looked great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bossmustang16 View Post
    Yeah I know I'm supposed to polish after but just didn't; just because it's baes truck and she was just glad to have it cleaned. I used some stuff in a yellow bottle called scratch and swirl remover you can get at oreilys for like $4 lol! I bought it a long time ago and just wanted to use it up really but man was I impressed with the results! I'm definitely gonna borrow her truck again to be my perfect specimen for compound/pad combo tests.. Idk if that cyan pad cuts that good or what but wow I was impressed and very little time and effort as well.
    Is it from the company called "Kit"? They also make a carnauba wax type of product too.

You could try using it on a polishing or finishing pad and see how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Meh, it is possible to cut with some compounds on harder clear coats and not leave micro marring.
    Agreed.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast