autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a Detailing Business

Let me start off by saying my decision to go into this business is directly in relation to the knowledge that has been shared to me on this site. I've been reading about automotive detailing on here for about two years now, and have been detailing my own cars since about 2010. I do not, in any respects, consider myself a "pro". I do however consider myself a person with common sense, and the ability to learn new subjects.. Quite well actually, and even more so when I actually enjoy the subject matter.

With that said, you might ask "what are you looking to get out of this thread? Well, to be honest, I'm looking to get whatever wisdom I can get. I'm interested in anything and everything that could be of any use to me with this new business.

Where I'm at:
    Recently I purchased a van; So far, (with exception to all of the basic chemicals needed) I've equipped the van with a power inverter, electric pressure washer and vacuum. My next purchase will be a 55-Gal drum for water and an air compressor. I'm still looking for a Flex 3401 and pads, but I'll wait a little while before purchasing that, as I'm surely not going to be doing full compounds when my doors first open. Later, I'd be interested in getting an Ozone Generator and a Dupray Tosca Steam Cleaner. I am also going to purchase a new wet/dry vac because my current one (Ridged) is great, but it draws too much power on my inverter. I'd like to get something more efficient. My Ridged Vac is old, so I'm sure anything new would be an upgrade. My Pressure washer is a Stanley 2000 PSI Electric unit, and I'll be supplying water from the 55-Gal drum. I'm going to install a spout on the bottom of the drum to supply the water from the drum to the pressure washer. With respects to equipment, does anyone have anything to add that is absolutely essential for daily jobs? What about anything simple that might make life easier? What equipment do you carry?

Advertising
    Though I haven't gotten a start to advertising yet, I plan on taking care of that when I'm closer to actually opening. I'm going to work on a website and a facebook page. I'll also mark the van up with the business name, services and phone number. With respects to advertising, (besides what I've mentioned) does anyone have anything specific that they do that seems to be working good for them?

Services
    I currently offer three exterior packages and three interior packages, including a basic maintenance wash, a premium maintenance wash and a "Gold" detail package. I also offer a package that includes both interior and exterior that I refer to as my "Platinum" package. I figured out my prices after I purchased all of my products and laid everything out on paper. I figured out how may uses I'd get out of each product, and how much each product would cost per car. The packages I offer do NOT include any paint correction, although my Gold and Platinum packages include Claying before a Last Step Product. I also have an A La Carte, for other services such as Headlight Resto's, Ozone Treatment, Steam Clean, etc. I started my car experience as a technician for a dealer and was also going to include some mobile repairs and other services (oil changes, etc.), but haven't gotten that far yet. What unique packages or services do you offer? I'd appreciate it if you also included your prices too.

As for right now, that's all of the information I can think of. I'll expand on my questions and info over the course of this thread. Again, thank all of you who have been supportive and helpful with your generous knowledge and encouragement.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a Detailing Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7hnwofanc
    ALL pressure washers do not draw or pull (suction) from a static source (standing water) it needs pressure to move even in a tank.
    Several companys that using suction (SELF PRIMING) technology in pressure washers (Electric) KRANZLE, COMET, AND KARCHER SEE PAST POST ON PRESSURE WASHERS AND SUCTION/SELF PRIMING

Post Thanks / Like