autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

car wash in single digits?

I'm looking for tips on washing the vehicle. I'm not doing a rinseless in this cold. I go through laser wash(totally touch less). But I'm worried about mechanisms freezing up. There is also one of those self serve bays around me if that's better. Will products freeze up(spray waxes, etc).lots of salt here,and need to remove it.thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: car wash in single digits?

When it gets that cold, I only do touchless also. Even in my garage it's too cold to do a RW. My cars are between 2003 and 2013 and I don't have any issues with things freezing up (doors, etc). I try to hit the touchless every couple weeks or so. If the temps stay really cold in between, the salt won't be able to do much damage. Every now and then during a cold snap, a 30 degree day might pop up and I do a touchless + RW.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hit a touch less assuming it didn't have those tracks that scratch wheels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a laser wash, a touchless, and an RW?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

I pity your situation, salts a B*I*T*C*H I grew up (relative term lol) in Michigan and always used a self serve car wash in the dead of winter. It was by far more powerful and better than the touch-less wash at getting under the wheel wells and getting the salt/dirt off in general. I never had trouble with anything freezing up either and I always tried to dry off what I could (in the bay out of the wind if no one was waiting).

The bad part is the extreme cold doing it but if you love your cars like I did/do I think It's worth it.

Take care and good luck,

Thom

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the DIY wash just the other night when air temps were -10F. I do this all the time in the winter. Just be sure to dry the door seals and mechanisms as best you can. My local one allows bucket washing if no one is waiting, and when it's -10, no one is waiting, lol.

I'm strongly considering investing in a cordless blower. It should make all my drying activities easier, especially when I'm not in my driveway. Pretty sure I'll get some really funny looks at the DIY wash.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    What's a laser wash, a touchless, and an RW?
    Laserwash and touchless are basically the same thing. It means it only cleans the car with high pressure water (no brushes). Some use lasers to determine when to turn. On older touchless the sprayer just went around a track, so if you had a smaller car, when the sprayer went around the back of the car it could be 5-6 feet away doing virtually nothing for the back of the car. With the laser, it can maintain a certain distance from each side of the vehicle.

RW is rinseless wash
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used no-rinse wash/wax in the single digits a few times and it worked fine. Drying can be a bit streaky but that is probably the wax misbehaving with the temps.

The problem I have now is the car has collected so much salt in the last two weeks (my black car is a light grey) that I'm afraid to touch it with anything for fear of scratching it. We're supposed to have a heat wave and get up to the mid-20s tomorrow so I'm going to try hitting a touchless wash to get the heavy stuff off (and underbody) so I can do a more thorough job at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how you guys anything below 32 degrees. Anytime I try to do anything below freezing. I get water and product freezing on my paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slicksierra View Post
    Not sure how you guys anything below 32 degrees. Anytime I try to do anything below freezing. I get water and product freezing on my paint
    Are you using hot water and keeping the product warm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast