autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best method to remove paint transfer?

Been asked to look at a red car that made contact with a garage frame backing out. I'm told it has white paint [transfer] damage.

Before I look at it what is the suggested method for dealing with paint transfer?

2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best method to remove paint transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Grifffx4 View Post
    Been asked to look at a red car that made contact with a garage frame backing out. I'm told it has white paint [transfer] damage.

Before I look at it what is the suggested method for dealing with paint transfer?
    I would think Claying would be worth a try, and the best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Claying never really works for me. First thing I would try is mineral spirits to see if it will dissolve it (depends if it's house paint or paint used on a metal door). Then if you happen to have an old paint cleaner, one of the solventy ones (the old Meg's products are good for this, Medallion, Body Scrub, old #2) or Poorboy's Pro Polish. I also find that Zaino Z-PC works really well on paint transfers, for some reason.

Heck, you can try clay also.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post

Awesome. I just happen to have some of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Claying never really works for me. First thing I would try is mineral spirits to see if it will dissolve it (depends if it's house paint or paint used on a metal door). Then if you happen to have an old paint cleaner, one of the solventy ones (the old Meg's products are good for this, Medallion, Body Scrub, old #2) or Poorboy's Pro Polish. I also find that Zaino Z-PC works really well on paint transfers, for some reason.

Heck, you can try clay also.

I give this a try if I run it to trouble. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I would think Claying would be worth a try, and the best bet.

This was my first thought. I was going to try the Nanoskin towel.

Post Thanks / Like

All good suggestions. Give all a try, one of them or a combination of should do it.

Mike Phillips

From 2010

How How To remove Paint Transfer off your car's paint

How To Remove Paint Transfer
    Paint Transfer is a term used to describe when the paint off of some other object is transferred onto you car's finish usually by some kind of accident.

My friend Rob is a Fitness Instructor at the gym I work out at and someone, somehow sideswiped his 2006 Ford Mustang GT and in so doing took off is side mirror and transferred some white paint onto his car's finish along with instilling some marring and scratches.

Luckily the damage wasn't worse!

Here's how you can remove paint transfer by hand using a light paint cleaner. For this example I'll use Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion non-abrasive, it is designed to safely take off old wax, embedded road grime and pollution that washing will not remove. It prepares the surface for waxing by creating a clean, smooth, highly-reflective surface.

This is a very mild polish and because it's non-abrasive I'm going to apply and work it with a microfiber applicator pad, in this situation were using the nap of the microfiber as our abrasive along with the lubrication and cleaning ability of Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to gently remove the offending paint.

If you find Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is not aggressive enough, you can use XMT Heavy Duty Swirl Remover #4 Polishing Compound. This is very aggressive rubbing compound and after using it you will need to follow it with a less aggressive product.

Place a small amount of Paintwork Cleansing Lotion onto the face of your applicator pad...

Next work the polish and applicator against the transferred paint putting a little passion behind the pad but don't push too hard or you could instill fingermarks just from the concentrated pressure from your fingertips...

After working the product for about a minute, stop and inspect to check your progress.. You can see most of the paint transfer has been removed but not 100% of it. Sometimes you many need to repeat the process a few times to completely remove the paint transfer.

After you've successfully removed the paint transfer you can apply a protective coat of wax or paint sealant or like I've done here, machine polished the paint and then machine waxed the paint.

Looks as good as new and now Rob's going to have the mirror replaced.

Thanks Rob for bringing your car to Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

Mike Phillips

Just add....

To remove paint transfer faster use a clearcoat safe compound instead of a paint cleaner.

What I always do is apply the product, (paint cleaner, polish or compound), by hand using some type of cloth applicator. The fibers of the cloth provide their own type of abrading action plus help whatever product you're using to get more bite.

The reason to work by hand instead of machine is because,

A: You can exert a LOT of force with just 2-3 fingers pushing down against the paint.

B: Smaller footprint. 2-3 fingers lets you keep the focus and the pressure JUST on the paint transfer. With a buffing pad the pressure is exerted over the entire face of the pad.

(That is unless you're using a rotary buffer on edge but his is risky because you're generate a lot of heat REAL FAST.)

Then after you've removed the paint transfer by hand - machine polish the area to remove any toweling marks you instilled in the process by pushing hard while rubbing. (normal and should expected).

KISS or Keep it Simple Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast