autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Auto Detailing Tools/Equipment for new setup

Hi guys,

First of all, allow me to thank all of you for making this community so interactive and knowledge imparting.
    I'm a new member here, although have been a reader for almost a week now.

I'm starting a new Auto Detailing business and planning to buy following :

1. Pressure Washer - I read about it that we need around 1400psi and to save water we must use low gpm, so I've zeroed in on tough built and portable Kranzle HD 7/122 or shall I go for Kranzle 1132 ? Any other suggestion / Brand ?

2. Steamer - VX5000, Firebird, Optima EST ?

3. Polisher - Rotary or DA ? Shall I buy both or Flex XC3401 will be enough to suffice the purpose. Read its the best they got.

4. Extractor - don't know many only Mytee HP 60/ HP 100, any other better and tough built for commercial use ?

5. All in One - Mytee 20-110 Deluxe prep Center, this seems good is it worth 2K ? Shall I buy this as my secondary machine.

Any other equipment I'm missing here ?
    Please keep in mind that all of the above mentioned machines will be used in Detailing shop so they have to be work horse. Price no issue.

Cheers
    GK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auto Detailing Tools/Equipment for new setup

Are you starting a Detailing shop and have no polisher already? Do you have experience?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Are you starting a Detailing shop and have no polisher already? Do you have experience?
    I was kinda thinkin the same thing....ideally you should have hours and hours behind a polisher (and quite possibly some training too) before you want to start charging people for your services.

As for tools...is this going to be an actual shop? Or mobile? Will you have employees? What kind of experience do you have in the detailing industry?

Oh, and
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Might want to pump the brakes

Get some Customers before you spend $10k on equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Might want to pump the brakes

Get some Customers before you spend $10k on equipment
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

@dcjredline : my plan to open a detailing shop is for Jan/Feb 2015 . As of today I have no experience, I was hoping to gain good quality (if not quantity) experience in forthcoming month or two by detailing mine and my friends' cars. Can you pls assist with good recommendation of tools and products.
    @jarred767 : my plan is to have a dual setup to cater to both clientele : fixed as well as mobile. I will be hiring 3-4 employees. I've had experience of being mature customer only, never been on the other side. Hope you guys help me cross the bridge
    @allenk4 : yes rightly put, sales side is more important but it's equally important to have good infra in place to provide elite services. That's my personal experience. Really hope you guys can throw some light on market's best tools /equipment /Products. Once infra is lined up then comes my /my team's slogging part to make the business success.
    Waiting for seniors to guide me.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow

Good Luck

Best Wishes

May turn out great

Getting a horse to push a cart uphill can be difficult

Personally, I think.a better plan would be to do 25 details before making any decisions as big as the ones you are considering

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing guys forgot to mention, I'm from New Delhi INDIA. Detailing business in India is still at nascent stage. 3M has just entered last year with it's Car care stores. I've done a strenuous homework to find these names of machines as many are not present in India. I'd really appreciate if AGO members / Detailing professionals helped me to finalize my tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi g_k. I would just buy the Flex 3401 VRG and a 3" DA (Rupes preferred) or the PC 7424XP or similar with the backing plates to make a 3" DA.

I would hold off on buying so much equipment. Try a few cars and see if that would be something you would like. You might hate detailing as it does take some physical work.

Hiring people may be too early too. Get the business 1st before taking a serious $$ plunge. Everyone here is giving you the same opinion. Start small and then move up.

Make sure your technique is sound enough to make a profit. Buy Mike Phillips books on technique. There is also a book on AGO how to start your own detailing business. I have that book and it is very informative.

I have my own business (not related to detailing) and when I 1st started I bought about $5,000 worth of equipment and product. Today (7+ years) that was $5,000 wasted. Never even used the equipment.

Start small and you can always move up if you are busy.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

@kamakaz1961 : Okay point duly noted. Start small and move up as you grow. Well said. So I shall start with hand cleaning, exterior is easily manageable with hands but what should I do with interiors without extractor/ shop vac / blower. . Also pressure washer is must for underbody cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast