autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Light scratch removal question/advice? (Probably easy question :) )

Hello fellow detailers. I need some input. I have a car that I am going to get some scratches off of. It's a newer car with good paint and the driver actually takes good care of it. Thanks to the weather here in Michigan, of course, he has run it through the car wash every once in a while. I have detailed it before with xmt's 360 and I was blown away. I knew it gave good results, but wow, it worked better than expected. This was of course after claying and cleaning the paint. It took just about every minor scratch and swirl off with the exception of a few from the brushes, I assume. So this time around I plan on trying to remove more of those pesky scratches. After claying and cleaning the paint, I wasn't sure what to use. I was thinking something like xmt's fine or ultra fine or pinnacle's swirl remover with an orange pad and then the 360 again and then sealing/waxing. I really don't think it will require something intermediate or heavy to correct. As previously stated, they're not bad by any means, they're mostly on the side/doors.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and happy holidays to all!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Light scratch removal question/advice? (Probably easy question :) )

I may be wrong but im pretty sure the reason xmt360 did so well is because it contains fillers since its an AIO. Dont quote me on that though until some one agrees with me or corrects me. But here's my opinion on it either way. You could do a 3 step correction with, my absolute favorite, Wolfgang uber compound/orange flat pad, Wolfgang TSR/white flat pad, Wolfgang finishing glaze/black pad, collinite 845/blue flat pad or by hand. This combo renders flawless results. However, after a job like this is preformed i strongly advise against drive through car wash or the person washing it them self. Reason being is most people wash with dish soap and dry with a bath towel and drive through car wash brushes scratch the heck out of paint. So your 12 hour+ job could be ruined in a matter of min. If the xmt360 worked so well the first time id just do that again. Or you could try the Wolfgang AIO that just came out too.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouls start with a test spot of the least agressive product that you think might work and see the results. If that does not get what you want then move up to a more agressive product. If the scratches are bad then I normally try Meg's 105 or Wolfgang Urber. I've not tried the Pinnacle Swirl Remover but I would bet that if you pair it with a orange pad and then follow it up with a good polish it might not remove the scratch completly but for a daily driver it would make it look amazing after topping it with a wax. It sounds like you have the right idea going.

Post Thanks / Like

You could even try a more aggressive pad with the xmt 360. What pad did you use with it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the white polishing pad. It did a great job, I might give it a go with a light cutting/orange pad and maybe xmt #2. I'm sure they'll be more than happy with the results. The car is about a year or so old and non of the scratches are deep. I don't know if I'd even call them scratches since they're only, partly, visible in sunlight. Thanks you for all the advice and input once again! Now, if it would just want up a little. Lol

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your budget for time on the project?

What is the goal for % correction?

+1 on the Test Spot w/ more aggressive pad and XMT360

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know them personally, so time isn't necessarily a factor. I've had the car a whole day before. (Has other vehicle)
    And I'm going to say maybe 90% correction? I'm not sure if that's realistic or not I guess. It's not a show car that needs to be flawless. He's just a car enthusiastic and I can appreciate that. As well as a nice looking detailing job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I should state that I haven't taken all day to detail it. Just that he's not usually in a hurry. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelhz View Post
    I used the white polishing pad. It did a great job, I might give it a go with a light cutting/orange pad and maybe xmt #2. I'm sure they'll be more than happy with the results. The car is about a year or so old and non of the scratches are deep. I don't know if I'd even call them scratches since they're only, partly, visible in sunlight. Thanks you for all the advice and input once again! Now, if it would just want up a little. Lol
    Have you considered the pink pad? It's a light cutting heavy polishing pad, and had a good amount of cut to it. These types of pad are my favorite initial cut pads. Either the green Hex Logic, or the pink CCS.