autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings Pros and Cons

Hi Guys,

As per the subject line, your views, pros and cons of coatings, personal experiences most welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings Pros and Cons

Well let's see here I have installed all of the following coatings:

Opti-coat
    Opti-gloss
    Cquartz UK
    Gtechniq C1
    Gtechniq EXO
    Gtechniq Cystal Serum
    22ple
    Pinnacle Black Label (the entire line)
    DP coatings (the entire line)
    Few unreleased ones and few in the waiting.

As you can see I have some time in coatings and they all are different in the way they are made up, the way you apply them, and the way you take car of them after the install.

When deciding in a coating, if this will be your first trip down coating lane you need to ask yourself what are you looking to get out of the coating?

With today's market there are too many company's trying to jump on the coating train so you want to choose a company that has been in the game and has a great track record. Additionally when picking a coating since this maybe your first time you want one that is fairly easy to install as well.

Here is what I fell are my rose for coatings:

Offer a clean, glossy, and just detailed look for a longer length than a wax/sealant

Some coating offer more scratch resistance than the traditional clear coat that is currently on the vehicle.

They help to reject objects like contamination, road paint, tar, and dirt for example from sticking or attaching to the surface of the vehicle

It acts as an additional layer of clear coat preserving the already thin clear on the vehicle. This allows the coating to take the beating to so to say from the outside world instead of the cars clear coat

They offer easy maintenance routines after the coating is installed

They offer very hydrophobic surfaces

Coatings have the potential to offer a higher resell value to a car

Those are just a few and those will vary slightly depending in the coating.

The cons:

Some coatings are a bit more difficult to install properly than other and can cause streaking and Hugh spots to remain if missed. This will result in a non-uniform look. Fixing these issues requires polishing off the coating.

The coatings are not bullet proof meaning they can and will scratch if they are not properly maintained

If you have to fix an area that is coating you may have to polish and re-coat an entire panel

Some coatings will last longer than others

As you can see the pros definitely out weigh the cons.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Evan, was very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings Pros and Cons

I'll add a couple things to evan's comments.

1. They require intensive surface preparation prior to application. Be prepared, very prepared, before you start and don't rush the prep. Any defect left in the paint will be visible through the coating and you'll have to live with it or redo that panel

2. Even with top notch maintenance expect to polish and reapply in a couple years due to wash induced marring/swirls.

3. If you like waxing your car, forget about doing a coating, with the exception of reload, permanon and 22ple final coat, you really should not apply anything on your coating.

4. If you ever want to change things back to wax/sealant, you will need to polish to remove the coating.

One con Evan did not mention is that they are very expensive compared to durable sealants.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Good counter argument, is the swirls/marring you talk about on the coating only yeah? That makes it worthwhile as the coating takes the beating not the clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

From a consumer and enthusiast perspective. I have nothing but good things to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick72 View Post
    From a consumer and enthusiast perspective. I have nothing but good things to say.
    My first try at a coating was DP.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Good counter argument, is the swirls/marring you talk about on the coating only yeah? That makes it worthwhile as the coating takes the beating not the clearcoat.

My statements weren't simply cons; certainly a couple are, but mostly trying to illustrating the unique nature of coatings.

I would consider swirls and marring to be shallow enough to be only in the coating, making the coating a sacrificial barrier as Evan suggested. Again, illustrating that you will have to redo the work eventually. overall you are probably spending fewer hours in the long run with a coating.

At least one manufacturer has openly stated not to clay their coating, one would hope the coating prohibits bonded surface contamination, but I feel this is unlikely in real world use, so therein lies a problem with that particular coating.

Deeper scratches that are likely to arise over the course of a couple years could be problematic in that you may find yourself redoing a panel or two sooner.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest con is that to many people think they are bullet proof and to many installers do not educate their customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    The biggest con is that to many people think they are bullet proof and to many installers do not educate their customers.
    And it's not even the marketing department, which I, admittedly, like to blame for misinformation. Except for that one coating under a manufacturer's "bullet proof" line of products, that I will blame on the marketing department.

I see this more like poor assumptions by consumers and poor education by some installers.

I just can't call a consumer's lack of knowledge a con. However, poor education by installers is certainly a con. And poor education by some manufacturers is a con as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast