autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

help with cleaning oil leak in engine bay

I have an oil leak and going to replace the gasket but wanted to clean this up first and would like some tips on how to do this effectively.

Here are some pictures I took. Just wondering how you guys would tackle this job? I was planning to just use ZEP CD but not sure if that will get it all of or safe for the job. Just kind of worried I mess up some stuff. I'v only wash my engine bay once and used a light spray of water and some degreaser so not that experience with this.

Did you get get all the oil off and what did you use? Also you did this before doing the DIY right? Kind of scary of you took the valve cover off and started power washing it...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with cleaning oil leak in engine bay

Why don't you clean the engine after changing the gasket? I would definitely cover (tin foil) those exposed wires and connectors. Sonax Engine Detailer will do a great job for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rsurfer, I'd change gasket before cleaning (otherwise doing twice).

For engine cleaning, Mike's tips http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...mpartment.html

I use P21S Total Auto Wash is German nobility in a spray bottle! with Atlasta Soft-Tip Brush and spray hose and seal with Sonus Trim & Motor Kote, acrylic protectant, black plastic protectant, engine dressing.

Note, there are lots of youtube videos on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do the cleaning part after repair in case any spillage, etc, during the repair though wrap the connectors, spark plug(coil packs), loose wire's, air filter, battery etc then you can use APC diluted to 1:10 or use a dedicated engine cleaner such as Sonus Trim & Motor Kote, to clean the engine, and this may take a couple of cleanings so don't be disapointed, and don't use your good brushed/cleaning tools if you love them dearly as they may get damage from the oily residue

Post Thanks / Like

That's an easy one to clean. You can do that one with an APC or dish soap. I wouldn't worry too much about the wiring. It gets wet when it rains. Just don't spray high pressure directly at it. If you have a garden hose you can hook to your hot water tank it will take the oil away much better than cold water. Soapy hot water can make a job like this a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Any good degreaser will work. Cover up the vitals and just agitate with a stiff paint brush and you'll be happy you did. I'm with you if I know where the leak is already I clean before I start. No one wants to be working in oily dirt. I always clean it up afterwards as well so you can see if the gasket is weeping at all and if you have fixed your issue.

Post Thanks / Like

You could spray it with some brake cleaner. Then spray it down again when you're finished with the gasket. The mating surfaces of the gasket and whatever it's touching should be cleaned with a mild solvent anyways to help the gasket seal. So, pick up a couple of cans of chlorine free brake cleaner and some shop rags.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciated. I got OPC and ZEP Citrus Degreaser so I'll try them both. I'm thinking I'll have to hit it a few times before it gets all clean. Going to use some old tooth brushes and some cheap brushes from the local dollar store and go at it when I get a chance.

It does make a lot of sense cleaning it after I've done repairs. I guess I was just thinking about cleaning it up since I have some time now. My parts not going to come in until next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Kleen - 3 or 4 cans. That is the best way to clean that mess. Been there - done that many o' times. All APCs are water based products - so they will not dissolve grease/oil anywhere near as good as Brake Kleen - which is filled with solvents. Water based cleaners are poor at cleaning up oil - regardless of what detergents or surfactants are in them.

With enough Brake Kleen that is able to be cleaned touchlessly, although I'd probably hit it with a pressure washer first to knock off as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Just came back from the coin wash and power wash the engine bay.
    Used ZEP heavy duty citrus degreaser, Optimum power clean 3:1, and Gunk engine degreaser and got most of the oil off.

I was a bit weary spraying the degreasers in front since they belt was sitting right there. Would if be harmful if some of the oil I cleaned off get on the serpentine belt? Do you guys usually cover the belt also when spraying done the engine to clean up oil leaks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast