autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When is a newb no longer a newb?

I'm sure there are lots of opinions about the point at which you step over the line from newbie to.....I guess competent experienced car detailer. But what is that line? I'd like to here some opinons, when did you stop being a Newbie? I personaly stopped considering myself a newb once I had accumulated the knowledge, equipment, and hands on experience to consistently make my cars look exactly the way I wanted them to (shinier than the next guy! lol).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When is a newb no longer a newb?

Awesome question!! I still consider myself a NEWB, albeit a little one. Even though I consider myself a competent detailer (can use a DA, fix key scratches, correct and polish, etc.) I would still be considered a Newb.

Mainly,, I am a Newb if their is new product. I like trying new ones and keeping the ones that perform the best. When AGO brings out a new product (ie...PBL Black Label Line) I try them out. Some work for me some don't.

This is what I think I catagaorize myself as a Newb...LOL Always looking to better my technique or product....never stopping.....AGO I HATE YOU!!!!.....LOL Until the next product line you bring out.....LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

That's a great question and the answer will probably be a little different for everyone.

I know the normal definition of a "Professional" is someone that gets paid for what they do but we've all see horrible work done by someone that was paid and by our definition the person that did the work would not fit our definition of professional.

I think when you get to the point where your confidence in your skills, ability and knowledge makes you comfortable taking on any project.

Or just the opposite, you have the wisdom to turn some projects down. Let someone else have the blessing as I like to say....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a hobbyist at this point and I've been around this forum long enough to learn plenty about technique and products from Mike Phillips.

Frequenting a forum and learning about technique and products is a far cry putting the polisher to the paint. That being said, I have a long way to go yet and still consider myself a newbie even though I've had a polisher in my hands many times over the last 20 years.

This forum is invaluable and I'm always learning new and exciting things from Mike Phillips and others.

I'm not sure there's a definitive answer to your question, but I can tell you I'm a long way from NOT calling myself a newbie anymore. I guess until I no longer need to ask questions (never will happen as I'm always learning) of Mike Phillips or from others with far more experience than me, I'll quietly and patiently take my place as a student.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the person when they feel like their no longer a newbie, and or have enough experience in both knowledge, and hands on to tackle most projects but, while myself has six years of experience with the gift of running my own detailing biz during high school/first year of collage I consider myself a hobbyist keeping his two girls in top shape, however with that said we all will be newbies in terms of new products, tools, etc only difference is we are experienced newbies applying experience, and common sense to work these new innovations

Post Thanks / Like

To start, having the correct equipment doesn't contribute to making you "cross the line" out of the newb section. Having an array of products doesn't either. Now, having equipment/products that work best for you is a different story. For example, owning Flex/Rupes doesn't make you a "pro", knowing how to use it does. A "pro" can use a HF DA with OTC products and still do awesome paint correction.

So, IMO, being able to work with any media, machine, tool, product and achieve (or exceed) the goals you set out for, your not a newb. That falls into what Mike said, being able to tackle anything in front of you and knowing your limits.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a hobbyist detailer a LONG time, but I honestly don't think I'll ever NOT be a n00b. Every time I step into this forum I find loads of information and new things to learn. Apart from the odd paid job now and again, I honestly don't get enough time behind the wheel (so to speak) to really get an efficient workflow down pat, so I always find myself reexamining my process and technique. As a hobbyist, this doesn't pose a problem; if I mess something up I have time to correct it. This also means that I can be a bit adventurous and pick up new skills, try new techniques and experiment with new products as I'm not constrained by time, job costs or other demands. Once I find a process that fits me, though -- like Meg's DAMF system -- it's hard not looking for projects that work with that process. It's like I don't even want simple wash and wax jobs anymore!

I do plan to attend classes in Stuart in order to broaden my exposure to products and tools, and to get my technique assessed (and possibly fixed) by people who may have more talent, skill or experience than I'll ever possess. If I ever stop learning, life won't be much fun.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great replies from you guys! Very humbling I must admit. I must stress that I in no way consider myself a pro. Just a guy who can lose himself for hours and hours in pursuit of that perfect shine. I especially appreciate the reminders about how many new tools and products and techniques are always hitting the market, I mean considering that I guess I'll always be a newb! Thank you guys for helping me keep my ego in check.

Post Thanks / Like

1. When they join the Autogeek Online Forum of course!
    2. When they become knowledgeable enough to diagnose finish defects and what the corrective action should be.
    3. When they have enough products

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Hehehe never enough...

[Max is smiling]
    Francesco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast