autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti lens coating question

I recently bought opti lens and used it on a couple of headlights. So far I'm happy with the product. But my question is whether or not its normal for the liquid in the syringe to have a yellowish tint? If my memory serves me right, the liquid was clear when I first received the package. But I noticed that the day after I used the product, the liquid was a slight yellowish color. Any possible answers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti lens coating question

I have not noticed any yellowing in my syringes. Was the tip screwed on tightly? Care to upload a pic? My only guess would be it was capped with too much air or not capped tight enough. If you're worried about it, I would contact the seller to see if this is a normal condition.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's starting to gel from not being purged enough before closing or not having the cap tight. Moisture causes it to cure.

If it's not too bad it's still usable IME, just a lot harder to get a thin coat without high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine totally 'gel' up after a year when I first use. Dint turned yellow though.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a photo to show what I was talking about. I put the syringe against the white box so it would be easier to see the yellow I was talking about.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact AutoGeek Customer Service

Post Thanks / Like

You can't leave that much air in there.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My Opti-Lens syringe had quite a large air bubble in it new. Since I had read that the shelf life was indefinite if not exposed I let it sit around for quite a long time before I used it for the first time this weekend. The product inside was slightly yellow in appearance.

Since it had a large bubble in it from the factory, and I never actively pulled air into it, I didn't purge the bubble after use, I just recapped it tightly. I just checked and unless it's my imagination, it does appear more yellow than it was on the weekend when I used it.

Expensive lesson learned, I guess.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboScooter View Post
    My Opti-Lens syringe had quite a large air bubble in it new. Since I had read that the shelf life was indefinite if not exposed I let it sit around for quite a long time before I used it for the first time this weekend. The product inside was slightly yellow in appearance.

Since it had a large bubble in it from the factory, and I never actively pulled air into it, I didn't purge the bubble after use, I just recapped it tightly. I just checked and unless it's my imagination, it does appear more yellow than it was on the weekend when I used it.

Expensive lesson learned, I guess.
    Yup. Mine had air in it from the factory also. and just a quick update, I emailed optimum and this was their reply:

Thank you for your interest in Optimum products. Some syringes impart a yellow tint to Opti-Lens, it does not effect the quality of the product. As long as you keep the product closed with the black tip and allow no air to enter the syringe, the product is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a new and slightly used syringes and I'll compare them when I get a chance. I am sure you need the air from the manufacturer to allow for product expansion from normal or significant changes in temp (shipping, storage, etc.).
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast