autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemical smell in interior

New member here:

Here's my problem - A little over a year ago I decided to sound proof my Nissan Titan Crew Cab. I bought some Butyl Fat Mat, CCF (neoprene), and some MLV (mass loaded vinyl) off of ebay.
    I saved quite a bit of money buying the MLV off ebay from a seller that I had seen on a few forums selling the stuff.

Turns out the MLV was bad...as in off-gassing like you wouldn't believe. I had to MLV in my truck for 6-8 months, believing that it would finish off-gassing and be fine. It never did. Smelled as bad as it did brand new. Ebay seller was aware the MLV was bad, but was no help.

Now here I am, with a new truck that smells like some sort of weird plastic/chemical experiment. This is even after I have removed everything, except for the couple of CDL tiles I have on the panels (which were not physically touching the MLV).

I thought it would be fine after removing the bad MLV, but it still smells. So I pulled out the carpet, tore off the jute backing (which was touching the MLV), pressure washed the carpet, and installed new jute on it. The back wall carpet got the same treatment.
    The smell seemed to go away for a while, but now is still lingering. It is probably at 20% of what it used to be, problem is that 20% is still enough to make my clothes smell after driving.

So I bought an Ozone machine - A New Comfort HE-500 (supposed 3500 mg). I have used it 3 times (30 min, 45 min, 1 hour about a month apart each time) and it seems to help for a few days, then the smell returns. I have used einzette in the A/C system (which lingered for a long time). The A/C doesnt have a noticeable smell, but will leave clothes smelly (more like a lingering cleaner chemical). Cabin filter has been changed mutliple times. The steering wheel seems to have picked up an odd smell also. Interior is leather.

Febreeze, Ozium, Meguiars Odor eliminator, etc. Nothing seems to kill this smell. Leaving vinegar in the car helps, but the smell returns. Air fresheners seem to just add to the scent.

I live in West Texas, so temps are over 100*. Smell is much worse in the heat. I have left the windows down/cracked for a week at a time.

So I am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions? I have cleaned my leather steering wheel a few times with 1z deep plastic cleaner...my hands smell like chemical after driving.

Bought some So2Pur spray, but haven't had a chance to try it out. I am afraid of just adding chemicals to something that already smells like chemicals.

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical smell in interior

WOW! You've done everything I could think of and MORE and still can't get the smell out!?! My word this is crazy!!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I know. Honestly at this point I feel like I am losing my mind. I think I have it figured out then, boom, it smells again.

I sprayed some folex on the carpet yesterday, used a carpet brush on a DA polisher, and then wiped it up. It is almost like once the carpet gets wet, it releases more chemical smell. I am not sure if the carpet is picking up the smell, or if the smell is coming from the carpet.

Anyone have a problem with 1z a/c cleaner leaving residue/smell? I don't think the smell is from the original MLV, but from the cleaner itself. Should I try the So2pur spray in there? Or am I just going to create an even weirder concoction?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went out to do another Folex carpet cleaning. I noticed that there is a distinct smell on the carpet where the floor mats have been. Cleaned the carpet (smell still there), but I also cleaned the floor mats and they still smell. I think the carpet smell is actually coming from the floor mats, not the other way around. Maybe I have multiple issues at play here. Any idea on getting the smell out of the rubber mats?

Started to use the so2pur spray and the bottle busted and dumped on the ground. I have just enough for a test spot or two, but don't want to waste it.

Post Thanks / Like

So2Pure has worked great for me in the past with removing odd chemicals smells. Put it on EVERYTHING in the interior (even spray some inside the air intake for the A/C). It will not eliminate the odor immediately; however, as you let the product work (it is activated by sunlight) you will notice the smells diminish until it is gone.

The nice thing about So2Pure is it will remain inside the vehicle, ridding it of bad odors, for several months after the initial application. One of the best products from CarPro IMO.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nicholas. Carpro went above and beyond for me yesterday...so I will try out the So2pur when it arrives in a couple of days.

So I tried cleaning the mats a couple different ways. APC and a brush did nothing. The same with 1z deep plastic cleaner. Straight vinegar didn't help much either. So I tried some goo gone (then afterwards read that it shouldn't be used on rubber), and it actually seemed to really help. I then used some deep plastic cleaner to get the goo gone off.

Has anyone used goo gone in the carpet on a large area, not just a spot? I figure I would then clean out the goo gone with Folex. But I don't want it to loosen carpet fibers or something like that.

I want to make sure I can get as much smell out as possible before spraying the so2pur on it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey all, I know this is a very old thread (and I’m new here) but after a ton of google searches I’m having this same odor issue and wondering if the original poster ever figured out how to get rid of the odor. The odor I have that won’t go away, even after trying virtually everything is due to some bad mass loaded vinyl that apparently is about as old as this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    New member here:

Here's my problem - A little over a year ago I decided to sound proof my Nissan Titan Crew Cab. I bought some Butyl Fat Mat, CCF (neoprene), and some MLV (mass loaded vinyl) off of ebay.
    I saved quite a bit of money buying the MLV off ebay from a seller that I had seen on a few forums selling the stuff.

Turns out the MLV was bad...as in off-gassing like you wouldn't believe. I had to MLV in my truck for 6-8 months, believing that it would finish off-gassing and be fine. It never did. Smelled as bad as it did brand new. Ebay seller was aware the MLV was bad, but was no help.

Now here I am, with a new truck that smells like some sort of weird plastic/chemical experiment. This is even after I have removed everything, except for the couple of CDL tiles I have on the panels (which were not physically touching the MLV).

I thought it would be fine after removing the bad MLV, but it still smells. So I pulled out the carpet, tore off the jute backing (which was touching the MLV), pressure washed the carpet, and installed new jute on it. The back wall carpet got the same treatment.
    The smell seemed to go away for a while, but now is still lingering. It is probably at 20% of what it used to be, problem is that 20% is still enough to make my clothes smell after driving.

So I bought an Ozone machine - A New Comfort HE-500 (supposed 3500 mg). I have used it 3 times (30 min, 45 min, 1 hour about a month apart each time) and it seems to help for a few days, then the smell returns. I have used einzette in the A/C system (which lingered for a long time). The A/C doesnt have a noticeable smell, but will leave clothes smelly (more like a lingering cleaner chemical). Cabin filter has been changed mutliple times. The steering wheel seems to have picked up an odd smell also. Interior is leather.

Febreeze, Ozium, Meguiars Odor eliminator, etc. Nothing seems to kill this smell. Leaving vinegar in the car helps, but the smell returns. Air fresheners seem to just add to the scent.

I live in West Texas, so temps are over 100*. Smell is much worse in the heat. I have left the windows down/cracked for a week at a time.

So I am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions? I have cleaned my leather steering wheel a few times with 1z deep plastic cleaner...my hands smell like chemical after driving.

Bought some So2Pur spray, but haven't had a chance to try it out. I am afraid of just adding chemicals to something that already smells like chemicals.

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB2229 View Post
    hey all, I know this is a very old thread (and I’m
    new here) but after a ton of google searches I’m
    having this same odor issue and wondering if the
    original poster ever figured out how to get rid of
    the odor. The odor I have that won’t go away, even
    after trying virtually everything is due to some bad
    mass loaded vinyl that apparently is about as old
    as this thread.
    •Although it may provide just temporary relief:

-IMO:
    You can mask mass-loaded-vinyl‘s harsh chemical
    smell with a less acerbic, ‘bio-chemical’ aroma:
    Chemical Guys’ “Stripper Scent” Premium Air
    Freshener and Odor Eliminator
    :

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the response! Unfortunately I’m looking to get rid of the odor and that stuff will sadly just mask it :-( I’ve already tried febreeze, baking soda, vinegar, some ozone etc

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Although it may provide just temporary relief:

-IMO:
    You can mask mass-loaded-vinyl‘s harsh chemical
    smell with a less acerbic, ‘bio-chemical’ aroma:
    Chemical Guys’ “Stripper Scent” Premium Air
    Freshener and Odor Eliminator
    :

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO,
    I bet some of the smell is in the headliner, have you tried doing anything to headliner area?
    Don’t over saturate it just a quick cleaning of some sort.

Maybe buy like an odor bomb by Mothers, I think Meguiar's sell them too. I’m assuming this chemical smell maybe somewhat toxic to you and your passenger.

I read/heard somewhere that if you leave newspapers in the interior it will suction any smells, might try that a couple of times.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast