autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New house = hard water = water spots

So I moved into my first house this summer after 8 years of the apartment life.

As soon as I started doing washes in my own driveway (woot) I noticed I was getting water spots like crazy. Talked to the neighbors and turns out our city water in this neighborhood is pretty bad. I tried to step up my game with my wash techniques and keeping the car wet every moment I could but still no luck. Every wash is giving me crazy water spots now.

I have a really nice set up now with a wide driveway and a recently renovated garage, but this water is killing me! I'm debating just switching to waterless washing...but I'm still a fan of the 2 bucket wash with hose...especially for those really dirty cars. I'm a weekend warrior and only do a couple cars for customers a month so I can't spend a fortune on filtration systems so I'm wondering what other options I have?

These seem more affordable but will it really fix very hard water?
    Clear Inline Hose Filter Canister and Accessories

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New house = hard water = water spots

I use that filter, it does work, just need to charge or change out the filter often, but it lasts a good 6-10 washes, depending how much water you use. But its a life savor for water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

We have very hard water here in Phoenix. Add to that, it is exceptionally dry and I have a non-metallic black car, and you have a disaster. I found that i was actually swirling my car during the drying phase as you have to work so quickly, and use a bunch of pressure.

I have switched to rinseless for 90% of my washes and it has made a huge difference. I work one panel at a time and I can dry the car without having to rush.

Post Thanks / Like

I have hard water, switched to rinseless, never looked back, less stressful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    We have very hard water here in Phoenix. Add to that, it is exceptionally dry and I have a non-metallic black car, and you have a disaster. I found that i was actually swirling my car during the drying phase as you have to work so quickly, and use a bunch of pressure.

I have switched to rinseless for 90% of my washes and it has made a huge difference. I work one panel at a time and I can dry the car without having to rush.
    Yes, drying has become a PAIN now too. Water just gets swirled around and I have definitely put some minor surface scratches in my paint from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I have hard water, switched to rinseless, never looked back, less stressful.
    Are you guys using hot water from an indoor tap then? Garry Dean method? I'm tempted to switch...but I love being able to foam a car and just blast the dirt off. hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Does not everyone in this country have hard water now?

Post Thanks / Like

Inside my house, I have soft water. So I use one bucket of soft water, then Garry Dean method. Rinseless would work with hard water also, but soft water works better obviously - distilled water would work better yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    Inside my house, I have soft water. So I use one bucket of soft water, then Garry Dean method. Rinseless would work with hard water also, but soft water works better obviously - distilled water would work better yet.
    I have a family member offered their old water softener to me if I was interested. I'm assuming that only affects water inside the house and not outdoor hose spigots though right?

If going the rinseless wash route how does that affect your wheel cleaning process then? I suppose you could still use hose for that since with a focused firehose nozzle you can avoid the paint. I feel like you would still benefit from the high pressure when cleaning off the wheels and blasting the wheel wells.

Post Thanks / Like

Zero issues with filter and sheeting method follow by detail spray and waffle weave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMPC View Post
    Zero issues with filter and sheeting method follow by detail spray and waffle weave.
    Yeah I'm intrigued by the filter for sure. What detail spray are you using as a drying aid? I've been experimenting with V7, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, and a few Megs detail sprays all as drying aids but haven't really noticed a difference in drying capabilities. I do like the gloss of V7 a lot though. I've been water sheeting as well but probably need to go back and look at my technique again.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast