autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Weekend Warrior Supplies

Hey guys,

I’m getting more serious about detailing and would like to turn this hobby of mine into a weekend or “on the side” type of business. I truly enjoy the transformation process and seeing a dirty vehicle turn into a clean vehicle in a few hours does it for me. The money is only a bonus.

I plan on detailing vehicles that belong to family and friends to start out. Of course, I want to do the best job I can and provide the customer with superb results.

I would like to make sure I have the proper supplies to accomplish my goal of providing the customer with a clean and shiny result.

***Note*** - I work by hand. I do not use any power equipment at all - no polisher, no steamer, no hot water extractor. Is this something I should look into? Majority of my customers will be happy with “making it look clean and shiny” and do not know about paint correction. Will I be alright in the beginning working by hand?

Here is what I currently have on hand:

Exterior
    Wash: Dawn dish soap (neglected vehicles) and Meguiar’s Gold Class Shampoo
    Clay: Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    Polish: Meguiar’s Color X
    Wax: Meguiar’s NXT Tech Wax or Meguiar’s NXT Spray Wax
    Tires: Black Magic Bleche White Tire Cleaner
    Wheels: Meguiar’s DUB Wheel Cleaner
    Quick Detailer: Chemical Guys Detailer & Spray Wax
    Bug & Tar Remover: WD-40 or Goo Gone
    Minor Scratches: Meguiar’s Scratch X
    Wheel Wells: Simple Green

Interior
    Dash and Doors: Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer or Chemical Guys APC diluted 5:1
    Glass: Stoner’s Invisible Glass or Sprayway Glass Cleaner
    Leather Cleaner: Woolite diluted 8:1
    Leather Conditioner: Meguiar’s Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner
    Protectant: Lexol Vinylex
    Carpet Cleaner: Folex

I am open to all suggestions. Do you see any red flags anywhere? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekend Warrior Supplies

I would recommend getting at least a PorterCable 7424XP or Harbor Freight DA. Being able to use an AIO (all in one) with a machine will get you AWESOME results compared to working by hand, and it won't take as long.

Some specific recommendations:

Wash: Dawn dish soap
    Not very good for trim. You're better off with something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

Meguiar’s Gold Class Shampoo
    There are worse soaps out there, but for the money some of Chemical Guys' offerings are better.

Bug & Tar Remover: WD-40 or Goo Gone
    I would recommend using a product formulated for automotive paints. CarPro Tar-X or Stoner Tarminator are both great.

Glass: Stoner’s Invisible Glass or Sprayway Glass Cleaner
    The Meguiar's Glass Cleaner D120 is an awesome value. One gallon concentrate for $20 makes you 11 gallons.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

For the interior, you can dilute your APC at 10:1

It will still work great, will be safer on delicate finishes and will save you $

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

When using Simple Green on wheel wells, make sure you don't get it on aluminum wheels

If you have a Dollar Store close, I suggest switching to LA's Totally Awesome APC. It's $1 for a half-gallon and works well enough. I use it undiluted on wheel wells and tires

Post Thanks / Like

Two 5 gallon buckets with grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you mean about customers only caring about their car being shiny. I used to work at an automatic carwash and people with black cars don't even care/notice what's being done to their paint.

You cannot do correction in a reasonable amount of time (it could take a few days to do by hand what can be done with a DA in a couple hours) without a machine, so if you do not feel you will be doing much correction then you can save your money and not buy a polisher.

To be budget conscious I suggest going online and finding where you can buy Duragloss products locally; they're cheap online too, but I'm very impatient. It's good to see that you are already using Woolite and Folex too.
    Meguiars APC (D101) is really good and can be diluted for many different purposes.
    That said: Here's my list (my budget conscious list)

Wash: Duragloss 901 (DG 901) and to strip Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. Although I don't use Dawn anymore, some still do.
    WASHMITT: Megs Microfiber Washmitt
    Clay: Use whatever you have.
    Polish: If you're working by hand I believe an All-in-One is your best bet. Or even a very good cleaner wax. This is because you're just not going to remove many swirls by hand.
    Wax: Duragloss 105 is great. Collinite 845 is probably better by hand. It is also inexpensive. Duragloss Aquawax is also a very good spray sealant/wax. Even on its own.
    Tires: You're fine with what you've got. Lots of cheap suggestions for cleaners for tires on here too.
    Wheels: Great choice.
    Quick Detailer: Never used the Chemical Guys one before, but I'm sure it fine. Mother's Showtime is a good OTC choice.
    Bug & Tar: Stoner's Tarminator
    Minor scratches: Good choice. I do everything by machine now, but I used to use ScratchX by hand with good success.
    Wheel Wells: I'd say any of the suggested APCs are a better choice. I don't like Simple Green on the car if I can avoid it.

Your interior choices are good. I love Megs QID. The only changes I'd make is to use Lexol's leather cleaner and their conditioner too. I never liked Megs leather conditioner.

What's your microfiber supply like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    What's your microfiber supply like?
    I have a few of Meguiar's Supreme and a few Chemical Guys for my "nicer" paint microfibers. I also have a few bulk Microfibers that I use on the vehicle when not touching the paint.

I will need more, however.

Any recommendations for a good bang for the buck paint microfiber and a good bang for the buck general purpose microfibers (seats, dash, doors, etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RevitalizeAutoSpa View Post
    I would recommend getting at least a PorterCable 7424XP or Harbor Freight DA. Being able to use an AIO (all in one) with a machine will get you AWESOME results compared to working by hand, and it won't take as long.
    Thank you for the Harbor Freight DA suggestion. I will definitely look into it seeing how it will give me great results in less time.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you'll get better results with a DA in most cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a cheap hand held brush to help scrub upholstery and leather.
    A good degreaser , i.e. meg's, will work wonders on stains and coated leather when water and woolite does not work well enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast