autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3 Easy Steps to Wet Looking Paint!

Want the wet look without investing hours claybaring, buffing, and polishing? We all know we should but who always has the time or energy? It took me experimenting over two years and more products than you could imagine before I discovered a method that really gave consistent results. Thanks to coworkers and neighbors allowing me to test on their vehicles for many months I can say that it will work with just about any color paint. It's perfect if you're in a pinch because it should only take around 15 minutes to do. For best results use the products recommended and don't skip any of the steps outlined below. So if you want to turn heads with sticky, dripping-wet paint in a matter of minutes try this:

1. Wash the car: Use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss to get the paint squeaky clean. Apply proper washing techniques such as two buckets and microfiber cleaning towels or sponge. After the final rinse dry the paint slowly and completely. Gloss enhancers in Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss will provide the foundation by making the paint look hydrated and moisturized.

2. Wash the car again: This time you'll use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. Use the proper washing method for a no rinse product when using Optimum and afterwards you'll notice added reflections, depth and jetting. Be sure to dry the paint properly--that's the secret to using these products.

3. Finish with detail spray: So by now your vehicle's exterior should be so clean you can eat off of it. That once dull and lifeless paint now has an impressive sticky and wet look to it. To finish we're going to amp up the gloss by using Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (if your paint is a dark color) or Optimum Opti-Clean (if your paint is a light color). Spray it on a panel, wipe it on evenly across the surface using a microfiber towel and then wipe it off using a separate towel. Do the entire vehicle like this. Go around one more time to make sure you didn't miss wiping off anything. By this time your paint should be shimmering and glistening with such a wet shine you won't believe your eyes!

Top with your favorite glaze, wax or sealant if desired.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Easy Steps to Wet Looking Paint!

If you're not taking care of the defects in the paint, you're just putting makeup on a pig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RevitalizeAutoSpa View Post
    If you're not taking care of the defects in the paint, you're just putting makeup on a pig.
    I see your point. On the other hand in theory everyone should brush and floss after every meal for fresh breath. Unfortunately real life situations may sometimes only allow us to use gum, mouthwash or breath mints to get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    That works and all but I'm thinking it would take more than 15 min though. Typically on my wife's car I just wash do a Nanoskin fine and then xmt 360 or megs d156 spray wax. Some light swirls are left behind but she spends over 100 miles a day on the highway so it's rock chipped up anyway. But the simple wash and constant coat of spray wax keeps it slick and smooth and high gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
    That works and all but I'm thinking it would take more than 15 min though. Typically on my wife's car I just wash do a Nanoskin fine and then xmt 360 or megs d156 spray wax. Some light swirls are left behind but she spends over 100 miles a day on the highway so it's rock chipped up anyway. But the simple wash and constant coat of spray wax keeps it slick and smooth and high gloss.
    You're right. I was using my small car as a benchmark and after reading your post realized it may take longer due to factors such as vehicle size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RevitalizeAutoSpa View Post

No one walks up to my car with a defect light. It is a waste of time and money to mess with small defects.

They come back very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    No one walks up to my car with a defect light. It is a waste of time and money to mess with small defects.

I walk up to my own car with a defect light. Detailing is a hobby the members here are passionate about, doubt many would call it a waste of time, I know I do not. Just my .02
    2015 Audi S4 in Mythos Black Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vrtcl View Post
    I walk up to my own car with a defect light. Detailing is a hobby the members here are passionate about, doubt many would call it a waste of time, I know I do not. Just my .02
    If you do it yourself, because its your hobby and you have nothing else to do with your time and energy, then you are correct. Why not kill the clear coat with constant polishing and correction.

It is your choice.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Your attitude is different than mine

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do it yourself, because its your hobby and you have nothing else to do with your time and energy, then you are correct. Why not kill the clear coat with constant polishing and correction.

It is your choice.
    Have you looked at Mike Phillips thread where he measures the amount of CC removed by the various polishing stages?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast