autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you know if a MF towel is of good quality?

I was looking at the AGO MF comparison chart and it seems the only major differences are weight and price.

Microfiber Towels Comparison Chart

For example:

Mango madness towel = 220/gm2, price $3.33 each
    Supreme 530 towel = 530/gm2, price $7.99 each

Couldn't you build a towel with very cheap material, lots of it, so it is heavy? Would that then be a premium towel?

Is it in the softness of the towel?
    Last edited by fastfurious23; 09-04-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Included link to MF comparison chart

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you know if a MF towel is of good quality?

Weight isn't necessarily the quality measurement, country of make/sew work and sometimes the blend ratios are what make the difference for me.

The Korean-made towels are better quality than those made/assembled in China. The blend ratios indicate how soft a towel can be. MF towels are part polyester and part polyamide (which is a polymer chain). An example of a synthetic polyamide is nylon, a natural example is silk/wool. The higher the polyamide percentage, the softer the towel.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

More often, the key difference is whether the fibers are split or not

Split will tend to be softer, more absorbent and clean more effectively

They key difference for me is that the cheaper towels seem to put off more lint

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch. I buy the Zwipes brand on Amazon. 48 for $20. Maybe should invest in "better" towels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    Weight isn't necessarily the quality measurement, country of make/sew work and sometimes the blend ratios are what make the difference for me.

The Korean-made towels are better quality than those made/assembled in China. The blend ratios indicate how soft a towel can be. MF towels are part polyester and part polyamide (which is a polymer chain). An example of a synthetic polyamide is nylon, a natural example is silk/wool. The higher the polyamide percentage, the softer the towel.
    Woobie towel? 70/30 polyester/polyamide. $9.33 each towel

For the polyamide portion of the MF towel, are there specific materials that are better quality? For example, from the ones you mentioned, is one better quality than the other? Also, is what the polyamide is made of typically available to the consumer as information? From the listings I see on AGO I can't find one that says what polyamde was used.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    More often, the key difference is whether the fibers are split or not

Split will tend to be softer, more absorbent and clean more effectively

They key difference for me is that the cheaper towels seem to put off more lint
    Going back to what I wrote above, as a consumer is this information of whether the fibers are split or not available to us? Regarding the lint, that I have seen in product information where some say that the towel does not lint.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are on full information overload

Here is some additional basic info:

Learn About Microfiber. Microfiber towels & tools are the future of car care detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Most if not all MF towels made in Korea that I've come across are leaps and bounds higher quality than China made MF IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastfurious23 View Post
    For the polyamide portion of the MF towel, are there specific materials that are better quality? For example, from the ones you mentioned, is one better quality than the other? Also, is what the polyamide is made of typically available to the consumer as information? From the listings I see on AGO I can't find one that says what polyamde was used.
    IMO:
    •It would be wonderful if PA 66 was the most prevalent polyamide used in MicroFiber (MF) towels, and other MF car-care products as well. It's a little expensive, though.

•A reputable Company/reseller, such as AGO, would not sell anything other than high quality MF products...
    regardless the MF products': "plastics-ratio".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, weight isn't the absolute factor. For instance, the Costco Kirkland gold towels that come 36/$13.95 are a true 350GSM towel (actually a little bit more than 350). Yet the "standard" for a decent microfiber would be 350GSM but that would preclude those exact towels.

What you would want as your 'low end' towels would be the dual-plush type that are still only 350~360GSM but are marketed along the likes of Gold Plush Jr. or better yet MFT's own dual-plush units.

Softness isn't exactly a Chinese versus Korean matter either. There are plenty of newer ultra-fine towels of the dual-nap design that you'll never find to be lacking in softness. But yes, the split weave Korean's are nice (I still have around 45+ of them). Yet I'll use the dual-nap design hands down over those as they tend to do more, work more, remove more products, in more instances than the split weave units.

FWIW, the 530's are nothing more than the grown up brother to the 360/365's. Whereas the 400's and 500's tend to be the finer, thinner, softer thread versions of the 360's and 530's while still having the dual-nap design.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the split thread comments. I got a sample from MFT of the 500 gsm split towel and I like it better than the standard 530's they sell.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast