autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick help...Simoniz Glasscoat paint protection

Detailing my neighbor's 2013 Honda Pilot...just went to take before pics and noticed a sticker in the window that says "Simoniz Glasscoat paint protection". How should I address that? The plan was just an AIO (Griots Garage 1 step sealant).
    17 Land Rover Discovery: Fuji White; 07 Land Rover LR3 SEV8 4WD: Java Black Micatallic; 18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara: Black; 05 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD: Light Khaki Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick help...Simoniz Glasscoat paint protection

Personally I would just ignore the sticker and go ahead as planned. Odds are the "coating" applied by the dealer is long gone anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently, SGC is a decent coating (some report). If it was me, and there are defects - you will have to polish it off anyway.

But if there are no defects - no needs to polish. If no need to polish, check the beading to give you a ballpark if the coating is still holding up.

Basically, let the condition of the car determine how to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CopperMtnGuy View Post
    Detailing my neighbor's 2013 Honda Pilot...just went to take before pics and noticed a sticker in the window that says "Simoniz Glasscoat paint protection". How should I address that? The plan was just an AIO (Griots Garage 1 step sealant).
    I have a car that had Simoniz Glasscoat installed by the dealer. It is an OK coating. (I'd never buy it willingly, though...) It doesn't bead well after a year or so. I waxed over it and sealed over it no problem. If you want to take it off, it comes off pretty easily with Megs 205. I'd bet you will have no problems if you hit it with an AIO. (Why not try one panel first to see how it goes?)

<TED>

Post Thanks / Like
    If polishing: do a test spot. Sometimes the coating likes to "smear" around the panel and becomes very sticky, making it extremely difficult to wipe off spent polish residue. If this happens it's easily remedied... simply clean your pad and polish the same section over. Just giving you a heads up because if you are planning on doing a quick AIO type job you may be in for a surprise.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    I have a car that had Simoniz Glasscoat installed by the dealer. It is an OK coating. (I'd never buy it willingly, though...) It doesn't bead well after a year or so. I waxed over it and sealed over it no problem. If you want to take it off, it comes off pretty easily with Megs 205. I'd bet you will have no problems if you hit it with an AIO. (Why not try one panel first to see how it goes?)

<TED>
    If GlassCoat is applied to a PROPERLY prepared surface by a skilled professional (ie not at a dealership) and properly maintained it will exhibit at least 2 years of hydrophobic protection. Source: personal observations.

Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Simoniz glasscoat is great. Did a paint correction on an Audi R8 about 2 months ago, and of course I used Simoniz Glasscoat. I give the car weekly washes, the beading is great. When it comes to drying the car I use a small hand held blower and it only takes me 5 minutes to dry it completely without the use of any towels.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Got it done...not sure if the coat got removed but the AIO went on just fine without smearing. Thanks for the advise everyone!
    17 Land Rover Discovery: Fuji White; 07 Land Rover LR3 SEV8 4WD: Java Black Micatallic; 18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara: Black; 05 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD: Light Khaki Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    If GlassCoat is applied to a PROPERLY prepared surface by a skilled professional (ie not at a dealership) and properly maintained it will exhibit at least 2 years of hydrophobic protection. Source: personal observations.

I certainly don't disagree with that. It is a perfectly good coating. Just not the one that I would use myself. I found it very easy to deal with.

<TED>