autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opticoat 2.0 discontinued, OptiCoat Pro sees price increase

@ David from Optimum - If you really believe in your product and insist that it is Permanent, why limit the warranty to 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    Call Dr G - ask him how long OCP or 2.0 last on the paint. He will tell you permanent.
    I'm sure he's about as interested in me calling him as I am him calling me ...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    @ David from Optimum - If you really believe in your product and insist that it is Permanent, why limit the warranty to 5 years?

I'm sure he's about as interested in me calling him as I am him calling me ...
    You would be surprised. Why wouldn't he be interested in talking with you?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

You are local to him? Why not visit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    his description above explains it.

the top coats aka clear coats we polish (and coat) on our cars (regarded as a permanent coating as per industry standards) don't have a lifetime warranty either.

something everyone HAS to remember is this isn't some hack in his garage coming up with these chemicals and making outrageous claims. he's a polymer chemistry PhD and paint/coating industry veteran with a real lab and real standards. not detailing product standards (there are none lol), paint/coating industry standards. everything he releases goes through these industry-standard tests en route to the final product being released. that is why he explained what he did and cited why he calls it permanent. he's not taking someone's product from Asia and hyping it up. he makes it, tests it and knows exactly what it's capable of.

You are local to him? Why not visit?
    i was going to say the same thing lol
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are trying to learn everything about each product before you make a decision between going with GC or OCP. I'd suggest to go with OCP. That is what is on our brand new car.

I am pretty sure you are intelligent enough to figure that one out. Do you get powertrain warranty if you do the maintenance? Of course not. Same with exterior protection. No matter how much you train/educate the customer, for most, how they actually treat the finish is very different from how the paint "should" be maintained. Even with all the abuse that most cars go through, Optimum is confident enough that for 5 years the coating will hold up enough to their standards. Either way, (unless you have the coating compounded off) the coating is on the finish. You did read Dr G's post above right?

Don't forget to post pictures of your freshly coated car!!!

- I am not trying to decide between OCP and GC. Would never pay an installer to apply a coating

- OCP has maintenance requirements as part of their Warranty requirements, so I don't understand the analogy in your 2nd paragraph

- I did read Dr. G's post in this thread as well as his post on the OPT Forum

My suspicion of all claims from OPT regarding their coatings comes from the 2 micron thickness claim for OC2. I feel like they know that the product was never 2 microns. They have denied to me in an email that the ever claimed 2 microns:

"Optimum has never stated that Opti-Coat adds 2 microns to paint."

This statement can easily be found on their own website

LINK

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    something everyone HAS to remember is this isn't some hack in his garage coming up with these chemicals and making outrageous claims. he's a polymer chemistry PhD and paint/coating industry veteran with a real lab and real standards. not detailing product standards (there are none lol), paint/coating industry standards. everything he releases goes through these industry-standard tests en route to the final product being released.

I am very interested in these "paint/coating industry standards"

Specifically, how they are applied to the claims made by OPT for their coating longevity and thickness

This is probably the one that is most directly related to longevity:

D1014 - 09 Standard Practice for Conducting Exterior Exposure Tests of Paints and Coatings on Metal Substrates

Sounds like you have a lot of inside information

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    - I am not trying to decide between OCP and GC. Would never pay an installer to apply a coating

- OCP has maintenance requirements as part of their Warranty requirements, so I don't understand the analogy in your 2nd paragraph

- I did read Dr. G's post in this thread as well as his post on the OPT Forum

My suspicion of all claims from OPT regarding their coatings comes from the 2 micron thickness claim for OC2. I feel like they know that the product was never 2 microns. They have denied to me in an email that the ever claimed 2 microns:

"Optimum has never stated that Opti-Coat adds 2 microns to paint."

This statement can easily be found on their own website

LINK
    When I am suspicious of a product's claim that I have no interest in, I move on.

Why not do the same?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I am very interested in these "paint/coating industry standards"

Specifically, how they are applied to the claims made by OPT for their coating longevity and thickness
    CQuartz FINEST is an evolution in ceramic nanotech paint coatings.

CQuartz FINEST is the most exclusive surface protection in the world!
    Only available to selected detailers, Finest was designed specifically for those with discerning tastes for its exceedingly rich & glossy finish, as well as its ability to resist the elements and protect like no other.

While its beauty is undeniable, that is only the start! Long term protection of that beauty and resistance to the environment is equally important. Unlike lesser products, FINEST resists dirt, dust, and the environment.

One of the most important features in keeping your vehicle clean is the ability of the protective layer to release water. Finest features an industry leading low sliding angle which allows water drops to release, causing a hydrophobic "self-cleaning" affect.

Utilizing a proprietary condensed nanotech material, FINEST adds a measurable 2~3µm tough, rich, high gloss "glass" layer, which protects the surface beneath and resists dirt, brake dust, bugs, bird bombs, and other conditions for a minimum of two years. To experience the evolution in automotive refinement demand FINEST from your nearest Authorized Installer today!
    i don't see you going after CQ, or am I missing your other posts?

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped by OPT today for template first time. They're only about a half mile from my shop and I thought I'd check the place out. I met Maggie, the only person I saw there during my visit, and she was a very pleasant and knowledgeable person, and was enthusiastic about Optimum products. I went there out of curiosity, and she took me straight in back and showed me the warehouse and went over a lot of their products. I asked about 2.0 and Opti gloss, and all I could really get out of her was that it would last 2 years according to their tests. I was told they changed their formula to offer a more user friendly product.

I'm not knowledgeable about coatings or their supposed longevity or ease of application, and I didn't care to press her for information too hard as this was my first visit and I plan on buying product directly from them from now on. If anyone has any questions they would like me to pass along during my next visit, I would gladly do so. Or I could even share a link to this thread if it will help clarify any ponders you AutoGeekers may have.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't see you going after CQ, or am I missing your other posts?

As Indicated, I am not interested in products that require Authorized Dealer Installation

The Consumer version of CQF (CQuartz) claims 0.7 µm ~1.5 µm

The math for this claim is plausible with their 30mL bottle of product

Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast