autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather conditioner and protectant

I just purchased a 2004 GMC Sierra with leather interior. How can I tell if the interior has a coating? Or do I just clean and condition using the Lexol kit as though it does not have a coating?

At least I think I'm asking the right question here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather conditioner and protectant

I don't have experience with that particular leather, but it is more that likely coated. One easy way to check is to put a drop of water in an inconspicuous spot. If the water sits on the surface, it is coat; if it is absorbed, it is not coated. Soiling on the surface can cause this test to give a false positive, so clean the area well first.

There is no benefit to conditioning coated leather. Use a protectant instead.

There is some speculation that microcracking in the coating surface will allow conditioners to penetrate the coating. I have never seen this happen, just a mess of sticky conditioner residue on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do what I call the "drop test" basically all you do is put a few drops of water on the seat if it soaks in its real leather if it sits on top its coated though a good thing to know most modern leather is coated so useing your lexol or even better leather masters or leatherque you will get good to great results

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The water drop test works, IF the leather has not been treated. Many conditioners repel water

I always thought conditioning coated/painted leather was futile, but in the intro for the new Pinnacle Leather Conditioner, AGO indicates that the product penetrates coated leather in a GMC Sierra Denali

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I'll try the water drop test and see what I come up with.