autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragged a rock across windshield with wipers...how to fix?

I was on the highway and a piece of rock went on the windshield and my wipers dragged it to the driver's side just once. Now there is a long scratch in my field of vision.

I tried cleaning it, clayed and used some optimum compound with a yellow pad on the Rupes 15. The scratch is a little lighter now but added some marring. Looking to buy a glass product, will Ceriglass with the rayon pads remove the scratch and the marring? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dragged a rock across windshield with wipers...how to fix?

You will find that some of the windshield polishing compounds. The ones with enough "cut" to polish out deeper scratches will be required. It can be very time consuming to do a nice job.

I use a heavy drill motor with a hard cotton bob in the chuck to get right into the scratch and smooth the edges so it is not as apparent.

Just remember, that you are essentially polishing a lens. If you remove too much glass it can induce a distortion in the area of the scratch.

Can you catch your fingernail in the scratch? if you can it might require removing too much glass to give you a distortion free result.

You might be better off having the windshield replaced. And check with your insurance. Since a rock caused the damage it might be fully covered with no deductible

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully your insurance can handle it

Mine (USAA) will cover chip repairs, but anything more than that, the deductible applies, which negates any benefit of making a claim

Maybe your insurance will pay to have it buffed out.

You could make a quick stop at a glass repair shop and ask. They can contact you insurance and get a quick answer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgeek View Post
    I was on the highway and a piece of rock went on the windshield and my wipers dragged it to the driver's side just once. Now there is a long scratch in my field of vision.

I tried cleaning it, clayed and used some optimum compound with a yellow pad on the Rupes 15. The scratch is a little lighter now but added some marring. Looking to buy a glass product, will Ceriglass with the rayon pads remove the scratch and the marring? Thanks.
    How deep is the scratch?

I had a very deep one on my passenger side, Ceriglass and Carpro ryan pads corrected it by about 70% or more I'd say, so only a 20-30% defect remains. That was after two sessions of 2-3 hours each, All the minor scratches were gone in no time at all though. This was done via a DA.