autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help restoring a smallish clear coat scuff on a new car

So I just bought a new car (I've had it for 3 weeks now) and due to my OCD and anal retentiveness I now find that I am constantly inspecting it, wiping things off, cleaning, full on paranoia to keep it as perfect as possible. Now, I realize that won't last forever but I have encountered and issue much before I was ready to and was hoping to get the opinion of people here on how I may be able to best repair or clean it up. Here is the back story:

I found what appeared to be a small orange stain (the car is white) on the front of the hood, couldn't tell if it was sap or some other stain or rust from a rogue rock. It's been raining here a lot so I feared the worst. I brought it back to the dealer to get their opinion on it and see what I should do about it. I am completely foreign to car care, proper washing and maintenance and really didn't want to screw anything up on my new pride and joy. So I thought it would take it to them as I assumed they would be the experts (I've read enough threads now to know this is not the case).

So long story short, the body guy came to take a look at it and before I could ask him what to do he produced a piece of what appeared to be sand paper and gently rubbed in on the spot and them used some white substance in a bbq joint squeeze Ketchup bottle and a microfiber cloth. My heart immediately sank in my chest as i saw him touch the hood of my brand new car with the paper and all I wanted to do was get out of there. After I finished talking (I wasn't listening anymore just replaying the horror in my head) and drove away I immediately went somewhere that I could inspect if any damage occurred. I did ask the guy what he just did and why and they told me thats normal an that the paper just barely sands the clear coat and the compound cleans it up.

So, I guess short story long, once I got to a safe spot I looked at the hood for a good 30 minutes to see what, if any damage, had occurred. Sure enough I found a scuff/dull looking mark right where he had sanded that is about 2 inches by 1 inch. Now, I'm probably the only person that would ever notice it, but I notice it. I can't not see it now. When i run my finger over it I cannot feel anything, no roughness, no snagging my nail, nothing. The only way I can see it is if I watch a light go over it. The light is perfectly clear and round when on the car until it gets near the spot and then it gets slightly duller for the shape of the scratch.

It almost looks like fingerprint grease left on glass. IT just slightly dulls the true clarity.

So full back story and my insanity explained, can anybody tell me what if any product I can use to restore that perfect gloss to this spot? I've been reading threads for days and I'm now completely over-saturated with information and products and contradictions.

All I want to do is get this spot of clear coat restored to its perfect shine. I have a feeling in need something with extremely light abrasiveness but, again, I'm pretty lost as to the right path to fix this and not created any further damage.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer your help, I appreciate it in advance!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help restoring a smallish clear coat scuff on a new car

Go to Walmart and buy Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

Read Mike Phillips thread on polishing by hand

Have Fun

Should be a simple fix

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've read a lot about that Ultimate Compound on here but I get the impression that it is more abrasive that what I need. The same 3 products keep coming up in my reads:

Ultimate Compound
    ScratchX
    SwirlX

Now, I don't see any swirls in my car (its white and brand new). And I can't see individual scratch lines. I just see an area that looks like a fingerprint smudge (its not, I've checked 18 times). It seems to me that the Ultimate Compound is the most abrasive of those 3. I feel like I need the least abrasive compound possible if I need something abrasive at all. Maybe it just needs to be lightly shined with something?

I know a scratch is a line where clear coat was removed and that the only way to make it "gloss" again is to make more abrasions to the area until clear coat is "sanded" to the same level. That the "dullness" is actually just unevenness of the surface caused but the abrasions.

So is there just a "finishing" type of product that could clear this up or provide such light sanding? Its brand spanking new paint and the areas around it are perfect so I don't want to dull perfect areas around this spot to it trying to clear it up. Maybe just a light buff with a clean pad and no product? Or just some wax or polish of some variety?

The lingo of everything is all so confusing and similar.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct to try the least aggressive method 1st

Try Ultimate Polish. If it does not get the defect out to your satisfaction, try Ultimate Compound.

The UC will probably leave a slight have that will be easily brought to a high shine with UP

What is it about ScratchX and SwirlX that you like?

I would seriously suggest starting at the beginning. You have a new car, you might as well buy Mike Phillips book and learn how to do this properly from the start. If you can't afford the book, I would read all of the "Detaailing How To's"...there is a link at the top of this page

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the follow up. There is nothing that I like about the X products any more than anything else. I actually find in my research enough conflicting statements that between the 3 products (UC, ScratchX, SwirlX) I cannot tell what the order of strength is between the 3. I see cases similar to mine where each is used in favor of the other and produced the desired results. And it seems there is confusion or at least conflicting reports about which is the least aggressive of the bunch.

That UC polish sounds like it might be a great place to start. So would the recommendation be to tape off the troubled spot and test in a small area of the spot? The tape acting as a barrier to the surrounding perfect coat?

IF so, is there a specific tape that is used that is car friendly?

Thanks!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated! Autopia Polish Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Keep in mind that the aggressiveness of a particular polish/compound can be greatly affected by which pad you pair it with.

3M Green Tape is my favorite. It has a little stretch to it, which makes taking around corners a bit easier. It does not leave reside, if you don't buff over it too much. It is available at most auto parts stores (AutoZone, PepBoys, etc.). I mostly use the 18mm width.

Some use the Blue Painters Tape from Home Depot, I do not believe it is worth the cost savings. Do not leave it on your car too long, as it will leave a lot of residue.

I have actually started taping half of the vehicle and then after polishing, remove it and transfer to the other side of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Exploder View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I've read a lot about that Ultimate Compound on here but I get the impression that it is more abrasive that what I need. The same 3 products keep coming up in my reads:

Ultimate Compound
    ScratchX
    SwirlX
    I just watched a utube video by Meg's on this adn they said Swirl X is the least aggressive and UC is the most (of the 3).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Updated! Autopia Polish Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Keep in mind that the aggressiveness of a particular polish/compound can be greatly affected by which pad you pair it with.

3M Green Tape is my favorite. It has a little stretch to it, which makes taking around corners a bit easier. It does not leave reside, if you don't buff over it too much. It is available at most auto parts stores (AutoZone, PepBoys, etc.). I mostly use the 18mm width.

Some use the Blue Painters Tape from Home Depot, I do not believe it is worth the cost savings. Do not leave it on your car too long, as it will leave a lot of residue.

I have actually started taping half of the vehicle and then after polishing, remove it and transfer to the other side of the car.
    Great point! So what applicator should i use? I've been looking at the Meguiars foam pad but also some microfiber ones? Which is better in this scenario? Which is more gentle?

Also, for drying towels and microfiber mist....do you need to wash them first before using them? Or are they ok to use out of the package first time?

Thanks!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should do some reading in the "Detailing How To" link at the top of the page.

It should answer your questions while giving you a solid foundation of knowledge