autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Took my wheels to the local tire shop

Hey everyone. I purchased some new tires online last week and they arrived at my doorstep just yesterday when I arrived home from work. I went over to the local used tire shop to have the old ones removed and the new ones mounted and balanced.

Just like all of you, I know every defect on my car, especially my paint and wheels.

When I arrived the mechanic said they close in 30 minutes, however they could still do the work for me. I stated I can just come back tomorrow and that it is no big deal. He insisted it was not an issue and they could do the job today. So I said okay.

I have a habit of taking pictures any time I take my car to a mechanic, dealer or if I have to park next to someone. So I took picture of all four rims right before they took them off my car.

Here are the befores:

And here are the afters:

The damage varies from light scratches inside the lug nut wholes, consistent scratch along the circumference of the wheel, chipped paint by the lug nuts and gashes by the center caps.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took my wheels to the local tire shop

HOLY CRAP!!! Being they were in great shape before, this is nuts! Did you freak? Guess you wll be calling that shop back........
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's the worst I've ever seen after getting tires on. I would be very upset.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!! Being they were in great shape before, this is nuts! Did you freak? Guess you be calling that shop back........
    I sort of assume or expect things like this may or could happen. I'm more upset on the inside than I am expressing right now, and really disappointed.

I can't think about anything else.

When I ride in my car now all I can picture is this damage and it depresses me.

I sent them a post on they facebook page last night and they recommended I send them pictures via email, which I did. THey responded some of it was a sealant, which there was, and the rest, or most of the rest, looked like dirt and could be brushed/cleaned/washed off.

I went there this morning when they first opened and talked to the owner on the phone in which he is reviewing this for me and will get back to me. The young gentleman who took the wheels off and put them back on stated several cases such as my before photos are not clear enough, these were repaired already and the damage was already done etc.

I called the police to see if I had to file a report, but they stated I would not have to if this escalates to a civil court matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. I had a really bad experience too but this tops it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your pictures were more than clear enoughto see that kind of major damage, they need to replace those wheels. Nothing else would be acceptable.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
    Wow that's the worst I've ever seen after getting tires on. I would be very upset.
    I am, but I'm trying not to let it ruin my week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Your pictures were more than clear enoughto see that kind of major damage, they need to replace those wheels. Nothing else would be acceptable.
    The owner I talked to on the phone didn't offer me anything as of yet. But, the only way I see something like this being rectified is getting new rims, as these ones were in perfect condition, besides one scratch, before this happened.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks! Not knowing the year of your car, you could check to see if the Honda dealers in your area have any take off's, this would be wheels taken off a new car and replaced with an aftermarket wheel, or you may have a company local that does wheel reconditioning? I used reconditioning companies alot when I was a Parts Manager for a Lexus dealer and wheels needed replaced on used cars or coming through our bodyshop.
    Gatorwheels - Wheel Reconditioning and Recondition Wheels for Sale

Post Thanks / Like

End of day you probably won't get that much money and to get fully reimbursed you will have to file in small claims court and who has time for that. Better to just get as much money as you can from this bozo and live with it. If you have the cash maybe a good impetus to buy a new car. Sometimes things like this happen for a reason. I know in my last car i had damage on the wheels, paint ect and got a bad windshield chip. I said screw it and upgraded to a brand new Lexus GS 350. Good luck and sorry this happened to you.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast