autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Label coating + sealant + booster

I recently bought the Black Label cleaner, coating, and booster. After reading through some threads it looks like adding the sealant on top of the coating would give maximum protection. If I top the coating with the sealant, will the booster just be a waste? That is, will the booster not be effective with the sealant?

Or should I just go with the coating and boost it once a month or so. I'm a little worried about the paint not being clean enough when it comes time for the booster.

This is for a daily driver that will see some bad winter conditions (parked outside at work) and I need it to make it through the winter with no problems. Durability is more important than looks.

Thanks.
    "Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished." – Ferry Porsche

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Label coating + sealant + booster

Ugh! Use the booster only. Topping a coating negates the benefits. If a coating needs to be topped with a conventional wax or sealant you're using the wrong coating.
    2009 Yamaha FZR Waverunner 1812cc supercharged 82 mph GPS
    2010 Honda Fit Sport (wife's car) DGES, DP, OC2.0 & CQUK tester
    2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 Silver CQUK

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    I recently bought the Black Label cleaner, coating, and booster. After reading through some threads it looks like adding the sealant on top of the coating would give maximum protection. If I top the coating with the sealant, will the booster just be a waste? That is, will the booster not be effective with the sealant?

Or should I just go with the coating and boost it once a month or so. I'm a little worried about the paint not being clean enough when it comes time for the booster.

This is for a daily driver that will see some bad winter conditions (parked outside at work) and I need it to make it through the winter with no problems. Durability is more important than looks.

Thanks.
    The coating by itself will provide up to 3 years of protection, so you're covered there. PBL coating were formulated to "accept" a wax or sealant, so if you're itching to apply a traditional liquid paint sealant or paste wax - go for it! To retain the awesome characteristics of the coating (water beading, sheeting, slickness) I would personally stick with Black Label Diamond Coating BOOSTER to maintain the finish instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZ71LM7 View Post
    Ugh! Use the booster only. Topping a coating negates the benefits. If a coating needs to be topped with a conventional wax or sealant you're using the wrong coating.
    Don't confuse need to be topped with can be topped.

PBL coatings can be topped, but they don't need to be topped.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! Just the info I needed.
    "Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished." – Ferry Porsche

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my comments just as reassurance.

PBL Coating booster alone is an excellent LSP with gorgeous water properties, easy to apply, great durability and gives wonderful shine as well.

However, Booster really shines when applied over PBL Coated cars. The hydrophobicity of the coated car is taken to the next level.

After boosting, many customers comment their cars looks even better than when first coated.

I generally do the first booster application after 1 month, and this is the time I generally hear those kind of comments.

My procedure is to do a thorough wash, dry and boost.

If customer faced severe contamination in between those 30 days (like overspray, etc), I may do a light clay, re-do the Cleansing Polish using a finishing pad (to remove clay marring and improve surface cleansing) and apply the booster later. I may avoid using polishing pads for this procedure to keep me from 'scrubbing' my coat, which would reduce it's longevity.

To apply the booster, I prefer a MF towel. Spray the towel with a fine mist, spray the surface to be worked, and spread it front to back, side to side, until it turns clear (~2 or 3 towel passes).

Immediately buff excess off, or not longer than after doing a whole panel.

At the end, I may do a last buff to get a streak free booster application.

You'll be amazed by the results, hands down.

Topping the coating may negate it's properties, but it's temporary, and if you are topping it with a quality product (like Synergy, Souveran Wax, etc) you will get the wax look, in a glorious manner.

That's because the coating will fill microscopic tiny pores, leaving your surface not only well protected, but smooth and plain. This defect free, smooth surface is a good 'bed' for a layer of your favorite product.

The sacrificial layer will be your quality wax, and your coat will be well protected bellow. That said, your finish will be down there, away / far from the elements action, and I believe this is the purpose we protect our / customer's cars, and always look after more, and more...

In advance, whenever your wax wash out, you'll not be left unprotected (like relying only on wax protection), but the car will come back to coated state (the coat will hold strong there).

That said, I don't see disadvantages of topping the coating, in contrary, using quality products will give you visible improvements.

Also, I'm suspect to talk about the booster, I simply LOVE it and use it often on my customer's PBL coated cars.

PBL may not even need to be boosted, because it lasts longer than any other wax or sealant I've used. However, the booster just works, improving the PBL coating in many aspects. Worth every penny, and full application may take you 10-15 minutes.

Detailer's Tip: coating booster is a great LSP for door jambs, easy and fast to apply, giving them a smoother feel and easy cleaning afterwards.

Please, let me know if you need any guidance regarding coating application, booster application, etc, it will be my pleasure to help you out.

The cleansing polish may also be used when you applied a layer of wax and wants to get rid of it. Cleansing polish rejuvenates the coating, and booster, like it's name says, will boost it.

I use all those products in a regular basis, and I only have positive results with it.

Good Luck,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the coating but have 2 coats of the sealant topped with 2 coats of Synergy and use the booster monthly. My car looks absolutely stunning. Very happy with the PBL line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have dp paint coating on top of pbl polish.

When I wash it next with pbl shampoo, I will dry it and then use pbl synergy or should I re polish and then wax?

Opinions please?

Post Thanks / Like

Assess the surface for contamination, using a bag for test.

If you notice the car needs to be clayed, it's good practice to follow with the cleansing polish with a very light (basically, finishing) pad just to get rid of clay marring (some, in any extent, will exist).

After that, you may get a good application of Synergy.

Topping the coating is a very controversy subject, however using a quality wax on top of it may improve the wet look.

I've prepared a car for a wedding some time ago, and coated it first. Although everyone stated it was good enough, I've waited ~3 days after prep, washed and waxed it with Souveran in the morning of the wedding day. Results were very impressive, talking about the visual aspect. I'm not arguing if coating behavior would be better or worst. The slickness was out of this world, many swirls was instilled back on car since everyone was willing to touch it.

Let me tell you, this wedding brought me a lot of good business in return with the sample I've thrown there - The Bride's car coated, topped with Souveran. I was treated like some 'out of this world guy' who could make the car outshine (by far) the concurrence.

Worth the effort, IMO.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Tato, thanks for the insight. It seems as if you have a lot of experience with PBL line. What works best for you with the application method with the coating? Is it pretty much the same as the method for the Booster?

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to top the coating, waste of time and money. Coat it and use the booster every year. The coating really holds up well if the surface is prepped properly and truly doesn't need any help.

Before using the booster, give the car a good wash, iron-x it and tar-x it. This will get rid of most above surface contaminants and leave a squeaky clean surface for the booster.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast