autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Still Rough After Claying & Compounding???

I was working on the hood of my mother's 2000 Camry, the paint was in good condition, it just had some minor swirls and scratches. My plan was to obtain as much correction as possible and then apply Opti-Coat 2.0 to the hood and then the same thing to the other panels. Since I do this on my spare time and I don't have any time restraints with her car, I'm going to approach this one panel at a time. I usually use her car to experiment with different products. She doesn't mind and usually tells me emphatically to use the same product again next time when she sees the nice results but then I use something that looks even better and then she says the same thing ...funny!

Anyway, after the car was washed and dried I did the baggie test and it felt rough, like sandpaper. I started with a Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash Mitt and ONR as the lube and it still felt rough when I did the baggie test again. So then I used the Nanoskin Medium Grade Mitt and it still felt rough. So then I used some Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and it still felt rough. I then proceeded to compound the hood using the Rupes 15 with the Rupes Blue Foam Pad & Rupes Blue Coarse Gel Compound.

I tried the baggie test again after the compounding and it still felt rough. I thought I would give it one more try and I used the medium grade Nanoskin pad on a PC and it still felt rough afterwards. At that point I realized that it was not going to get any smoother so I continued with the process. The hood looks great after the correction and applying Opti-Coat 2.0 but not sure why the paint still felt rough after decontaminating and compounding. I'm thinking the contaminants have embedded into the paint over time. Anyone else encounter this situation?

Post Thanks / Like
    The contamination could have embedded or it could be eay phase of clear coat failure or oxidation
    Though you should have a more aggressive clay bar(the red one) or used more downward pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Still Rough After Claying & Compounding???

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    The contamination could have embedded or it could be eay phase of clear coat failure or oxidation
    Though you should have a more aggressive clay bar(the red one) or used more downward pressure
    The paint is in great condition overall so I don't think it's an early phase of clear coat failure. I was thinking the same thing about a more aggressive clay bar.

Mike Phillips

Do you now if the hood has ever been repainted?

Bring it to the extreme makeover next Thursday, I'd like to take a look at it.

If you feel comfortable with the idea we could hit it with some #5000 Trizact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Do you now if the hood has ever been repainted?

Bring it to the extreme makeover next Thursday, I'd like to take a look at it.

If you feel comfortable with the idea we could hit it with some #5000 Trizact.

I don't think it's ever been repainted, it looks like the original factory paint. Sure, I could bring it to the next makeover.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Was your ONR properly diluted at 64:1 ?

I have tries it at detail spray strength (8:1) found that my Speed Prep Towel was too lubed and did not remove contaminants effectively.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Was your ONR properly diluted at 64:1 ?

I have tries it at detail spray strength (8:1) found that my Speed Prep Towel was too lubed and did not remove contaminants effectively.
    I put 2 ounces in a quart size bottle, which is more than recommended for clay lube. Recommended is 2 ounces per gallon. I've used that same dilution before on other vehicles and it worked good. I'll try the recommended on the other panels and see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    I was working on the hood of my mother's 2000 Camry, the paint was in good condition, it just had some minor swirls and scratches. My plan was to obtain as much correction as possible and then apply Opti-Coat 2.0 to the hood and then the same thing to the other panels. Since I do this on my spare time and I don't have any time restraints with her car, I'm going to approach this one panel at a time. I usually use her car to experiment with different products. She doesn't mind and usually tells me emphatically to use the same product again next time when she sees the nice results but then I use something that looks even better and then she says the same thing ...funny!

Anyway, after the car was washed and dried I did the baggie test and it felt rough, like sandpaper. I started with a Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash Mitt and ONR as the lube and it still felt rough when I did the baggie test again. So then I used the Nanoskin Medium Grade Mitt and it still felt rough. So then I used some Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and it still felt rough. I then proceeded to compound the hood using the Rupes 15 with the Rupes Blue Foam Pad & Rupes Blue Coarse Gel Compound.

I tried the baggie test again after the compounding and it still felt rough. I thought I would give it one more try and I used the medium grade Nanoskin pad on a PC and it still felt rough afterwards. At that point I realized that it was not going to get any smoother so I continued with the process. The hood looks great after the correction and applying Opti-Coat 2.0 but not sure why the paint still felt rough after decontaminating and compounding. I'm thinking the contaminants have embedded into the paint over time. Anyone else encounter this situation?
    First of all i want to say i am no pro. but have worked on alot off cars. just for shits and giggles i tried the baggie test a few weeks ago and couldnt believe what i felt. I tried it on a few cars that i used nanoskin and even polished.still felt grit with the baggie. I wouldnt put much thought into it. As long as it feels good with the hand and looks good i wouldnt drive myself nuts over that test. Thats just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    First of all i want to say i am no pro. but have worked on alot off cars. just for shits and giggles i tried the baggie test a few weeks ago and couldnt believe what i felt. I tried it on a few cars that i used nanoskin and even polished.still felt grit with the baggie. I wouldnt put much thought into it. As long as it feels good with the hand and looks good i wouldnt drive myself nuts over that test. Thats just my opinion
    I'm very satisfied with the way the hood came out, it looks great and I'll leave it the way it is. In fact my mom went by Costco today and had the air in her tires checked and the guy said that it looked like a mirror. I was just curious as to why it still felt rough since normally when I clay or use the Nanoskins it usually comes out very smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast