autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing in the desert

Hey everyone, in about 2 months I will be relocating to Arizona to be closer to my brother and his wife (help with the incoming child). With that being said I will be reestablishing my mobile detailing business there. Does anyone have experience working in that climate? I have operated my business from Naples FL all the way up to North Jersey so I am fairly versed with the different climates. Anything I need to be aware of/ prepare myself for in regards to the heat, lack of humidity, and sand/sand storms (besides the obvious in regards to polishing in direct sun :P )? Any friendly info or tips would be greatly appreciated !
    www.thepremiummobiledetailers.com

Pompton Plains, NJ 07444

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing in the desert

If you can't find a place to work inside you MUST GET A TENT. The water will just about dry by the time it hits the paint. And don't forget that spraying tap water (seemingly ice cold) can actually crack a blisteringly hot window is it has a microscopic chip in just the wrong place.

And wax and sealant will be a rock hard coating on the paint in seconds if you are working in the sun.

AND THAT'S JUST IN THE WINTER!

I never went outside at all in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    If you can't find a place to work inside you MUST GET A TENT. The water will just about dry by the time it hits the paint. And don't forget that spraying tap water (seemingly ice cold) can actually crack a blisteringly hot window is it has a microscopic chip in just the wrong place.

And wax and sealant will be a rock hard coating on the paint in seconds if you are working in the sun.

AND THAT'S JUST IN THE WINTER!

I never went outside at all in the summer.
    Thanks! Luckily my home will have a three-stall garage so I know that will help a lot. Is it too hot even with a tent to detail in the summer??
    www.thepremiummobiledetailers.com

Pompton Plains, NJ 07444

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I quickly found out when I moved to Phoenix that the water is extremely hard. Some sort of water treatment and conditioning is a must.

Post Thanks / Like

New Mexican here. Detailing in the heat is tough. Direct sun is awful. If not inside a tent is definitely a must. I don't do mobile for a reason. Too many variables to deal with in dry heat/dusty sandy environments. I guess it really depends on the type of detailing you do... I mainly do paint correction/coating jobs so outside in the elements is a no-no for me. If you do interior/exterior cleaning it's definitely doable without much issue. We have extremely hard water here as well, so water filtration is a necessity in dry heat let alone direct sunlight.

Good luck to you

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Post Thanks / Like

wills (and his sister) lives out there, i'm sure he'll chime in soon. i think he's mentioned in quite of few of his write-ups that they both detail in 90+ degree weather often...

Post Thanks / Like

It was 100 degrees in the garage I was sanding a car in last week (about 1.5 hours from Vegas). Shade is a must, but of primary importance is your hydration. A gallon plus in 8 hours in those conditions still barely cuts it when its 110-115 outside and your garage is humid from the sanding moisture.

I think you'll quickly adapt to any technique differences due to the heat. Primarily you have shorter work times and use more product (as would be expected). For example, it took me an entire 32oz spray bottle of water to sand a '59 T-bird (in the dry 100 degree garage) whereas it would have taken ~16oz in my old digs of So Cal.
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

you get about a couple of hours right after the suns first comes to get stuff done. but after about 8 o clock AM in the summer, it is over a hundred. even in the shade! if you have a garage, get it air conditioned. and I never wash any car unless it is dusk. even then, water will evap faster then you can dry.
    good luck bro. I don't see too many mobile detailers out here. some but not many. so the flip side of that is there should be a lot of business.

Post Thanks / Like

Your going to want a pop up tent, plenty of cold water, and products that work in direct sunlight because the ambient temperature is going to make certain products difficult to work with even in the shade. Also remember to dress for the heat and to use plenty of sunscreen.