autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Look what happened to my car!

That sucks. When bring your car to any shop , ask questions. How long have you been cleaning cars? Are you certified? If not, do you have pictures of your work? Can I take a look at your shop? Are you insured ? If you want your car reconditioned the right way by the right people, don't be afraid to ask questions. My customers know what their getting when they come to me. Professional work. If I can't correct the paint, I don't take the car. It's not fair to the customer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW443 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Unfortunately, I had already dropped the car off again to be fixed right before making this thread. The main issue was that the car looked slightly worse after the first detail.

The first detail (pictures from first post) I was paying for a clay, polish, glaze, then synthetic wax.

Different products and pads were used the second time (swirl remover, polish, carnauba). The swirls are less noticeable in the sun than before the first detail. Car looks decent when walking around it.

I used a different camera setting this time, so I'm not sure if those hologram lines are caused by the flash or settings:

I only paid $190 total so I guess this is acceptable for that price? I was told that wetsanding would be needed to correct it further (which I thought was BS ).

I'm looking into getting the Porter Cable 7424XP from here once I have a complete understanding of the correction process.
    The holograms were caused by their rotary buffer. Wet sanding isn't what should be done to fix them. A DA can fix holograms. It's the best way. The holograms weren't caused by the flash or the settings.
    As far as the other scratches, I don't know if they caused them with their buffer or not. Too bad you can't get a refund.
    This is hack detailing.
    If they are polishing like that, you shouldn't have to pay for a glaze. The glaze hides their holograms, their mistakes so their work looks better than it is when you pick it up. They benefit from using the glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there BMW443. Welcome to AGO. Sorry it's under these circumstances. Where are you located?
    The paint/clear coat on your BMW is some of the softest OEM paint, and usually requires finishing with a finishing pad, not wool. When the package included polishing and glaze I would have questioned the detailer's techniques right away before even thinking about dropping the vehicle to him. The damage I see can be corrected with a light polishing and or finishing pad using a finishing polish. I would do a full two step on this car unless there are defects deeper than the holograms. BTW, your camera isn't creating holograms, the hack detailer created all those for you. The car is covered with holograms and micro marring from the wool and rotary that was used. This is not a car I would recommend you to learn on, even if it is with a DA. Especially without knowing the paint thickness after it has gone two rounds with Mr.Hack "the detailer".
    In the right hands a rotary with a finishing pad can finish out BMW Jet Black to a deep black pool of wetness. Sometimes with soft clear like on your car, a DA can leave tick marks/DA haze. If you can locate a forum member near you, then I would recommend seeking them out to help you correct the holograms properly. Definitely not by wet sanding and a rotary with a wool pad though.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

DO NOT LET THEM WET SAND YOUR VEHICLE! The technicians working in this shop obviously have no idea how to properly polish a vehicle. Just think what damage they would do with sandpaper...

At this point you basically have 2 options:

1) Take the vehicle to a reputable shop. Interview the MGR and/or technician(s) scheduled to work on your vehicle and understand the process they intend to use to fix the holograms. Make sure they intend to remove them with a finishing polish using a dual action machine polisher and NOT USE A GLAZE.

2) Do it yourself.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Call them immediately and tell them not to touch your car. They don't have a clue what they are doing and they are wasting clearcoat chasing a problem they don't understand.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the car back now (no sanding to worry about). I'll be sure to practice on an older vehicle before attempting any corrections.

Everyone, thanks for all the advice. I will keep this thread updated with my progress and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? Maybe there are some pros that can help you out...
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artofdetailing View Post
    Where are you located? Maybe there are some pros that can help you out...
    I'm in Rhode Island, near the south eastern CT border.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! Call them right now and leave a message not to touch the car again. Thay couldn't do this right and now they are talking about sanding? They don't have a clue what they are doing. CALL THEM NOW! Get a full refund. If they refuse let them know you will share this thread more publicly with their name included. We will find you the right person to make this right.

Post Thanks / Like

UOTE=BMW443;1137751]I'm in Rhode Island, near the south eastern CT border.[/QUOTE]

Im in Fall River Massachusetts. About an hour from you. Cleary these guys have no clue what their doing. wool pad for a polish? Them reck 'em , I fix'em

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast